Implementing, Managing and maintaining Network Security - 55%

2nd attempt (today):

Managing Users, Computers and Groups - 75%
Managing and Maintaining Access to Resources - 70%
Managing and Maintaining a Server Environment - 80%
Managing and Implementing Disaster Recovery - 100%
Implementing, Managing and Maintaining Name Resolution - 50%
Implementing, Managing and maintaining Network Security - 80%

now i have to wait 2 weeks......and i will definitely go back and pass this...

Comments

• jfmcaninchjfmcaninch Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am sure you will get it next time. Are you planning to take 70-296?. If so perhaps you can do this since 70-80% content overlaps and you have two weeks to wait.

Good luck!
    Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure
  • floppydiskfloppydisk Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jfmcaninch wrote:
    I am sure you will get it next time. Are you planning to take 70-296?. If so perhaps you can do this since 70-80% content overlaps and you have two weeks to wait.

Good luck!

jfmcaninch,

nah...i'm only MCSA....are you working on it?
  • jfmcaninchjfmcaninch Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am attempting to write 70-292 on August 24th. Can get enough time to study and the chapters in the MS Press book go on and on and on. After this I hope to write the 70-296 in short order for my MCSE 2003. Looks like a big hurdle is 292.
    Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure
  • lachhani_nirmallachhani_nirmal Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi floppydisk,

Dont get discouraged by failures of 70-292 exam. I also personally failed twice before attempting to 3rd time this exam.

Please make use of the following links, which i think will really help you for exam :
    http://www.lilligren.com/mcse/2003/dave_70-292.htm

http://www.netfresco.com/cert/70-292/

Best of luck for your exam.

Do post the exam results with flying colours.

Regards,
    Nirmal
    Hi floppydisk,

Dont get discouraged by failures of 70-292 exam. I also personally failed twice before attempting to 3rd time this exam.

Please make use of the following links, which i think will really help you for exam :
    http://www.lilligren.com/mcse/2003/dave_70-292.htm

http://www.netfresco.com/cert/70-292/

Best of luck for your exam.

Do post the exam results with flying colours.

Regards,
    Nirmal

thanks lachhani_nirmal, but i did give it a 3rd shot and did an impressive...373 / 700....shame on me that's right.....
    i give up....i'm not a windows administrator and do not work on windows server a lot...my job typically involve very little windows stuff....but i had MCSA 2000 and i was an administrator back in 2003 for about a year...then off to data and voice networking. I've now move my concentration to Linux and i've ordered 2 books for Linux+ and LPI exam from Amazon. Can't wait to get them.....

for those who are still going after this, gear up and good luck!!!
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you think about taking 290 and 291 instead of the 292? I'm reading through the Sybex 291 book now and if it wasn't for just getting through 216 (the Win2000 version of 291), I would have to consider doing them seperatelly.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • djabudjabu Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey was there any q's reg software restricitons policies? i was under the impression that there won't be direct questions in relation to GP?? i've seen in some of the transcender q's that they have GP in other questions. But nothing in specific like software restrictions policies itself. i read the notes posted above and the person mentioned know how software restrictions policies work! im like yea what the hell man!
  • djabudjabu Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you think about taking 290 and 291 instead of the 292?

that's a good idea. never thought about it like that. only disadvantage is the money spent and two exams. i guess if u can comfortably pass doing both then why not. i gotta look in to books for that now. what's 290 and 291? Is it just 292 spilt in to two exams?
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't worry... you will get it. Good Luck
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
    since Microsoft's 'second shot' promotion is up again i've signed up for it and received a voucher for this promotion. now i'm gonna go back to the drawing board and read the entire book again and hopefully get it in 2. CCNA took me 4 shots so this will be my 4th on 70-292.....and a 5th if necessary but at least is 2 for 1 this time.....i'll give it another shot...
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck. icon_cool.gif

I personally felt this was the toughest exam I have ever taken (not including my National Electrical Code exam which was 6 hours long). I passed on my first try, but I have almost 10 years of experience in Windows administration. And when I hit the "End Exam" button, I was not sure whether I had passed or not. Not sure what got you, but I would study up on DNS and Terminal Services.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought 292 was harder than 296
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • dave007dave007 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm a Windows 2000 MCP & MCSE (Not 2000 MCSA).
    Do I have to take 70-292? To become MCSE 2003 I need only 70-296? Little confused.
    dave,

70-292- upgrading MCSA 2000
    70-296- upgrading MCSE 2000

you're upgrading MCSE, so 70-296 for ya'
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I think you need to take both the 292 and the 296 for the MCSE upgrade.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/upgrade.mspx
  • TrueliesTruelies Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ciao I am new on this forum! :)

In reality I have just readed a lot of post and helpuful suggestion on this forum to try to pass the 70-292... I have tried it today for the second time... without success!

My score: 646 ONLY!!! I am really disappointed! icon_mad.gif
    Here the details:
    - Managing Users, Computers, and Groups 60%
    - Managing and Maintaining Access to Resources 75%
    - Managing and Maintaining a Server Environment 85%
    - Managing and Implementing Disaster Recovery 85%
    - Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining Name Resolution 55%
    - Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining Network Security 85%

I am italian and so few questions about DNS were difficult to undestand for me... also 1 was about VBS scripting! icon_mad.gif

Seems that I will have only 1 chance to retry before the retirement... right?
    Today is 18th of April...

Anyway thanks to all of you for the precious suggestions! icon_wink.gif

See ya,
    Truelies

P.S. I used the Syngress manual and the Cramsession... and all of the notes and sites suggested on this forum. Now I will study the Microsoft 70-292 preparation guide too...
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome Truelies, and good luck to you. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
    Failed again 3rd time... icon_confused.gif

Always 646... A lot of "strange" questions... This exam is a nightmare!!! icon_cry.gif

Anyway at the 2nd attempt I performed better than today but the score was the same!!!

I will have a last chance the 23th of May... icon_lol.gif
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ouch. >_< What topics are you getting the most confused with when doing the exam?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    Failed again with 646!!! icon_cry.gif

Well this is the 3rd time with the same score... strange...
  • sakallsakall Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ok...lets clear this...internet is verry big and google is very powerfull engine...before you take any exam put in google failed and number of exam of pass and number of exam...i failed test 5 days ago and passed it with 925/1000 2 days...only thing tht you should know about 70-292 is that dns is taking the most points so if you fail dns....and everything else you have 100% you will fail...so that is the answer :)
  • AndrewNPAndrewNP Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One of the guys at my work has failed 70-282 about four times so far.

Some of these exams leverage on a broad knowledge set that someone who has been in IT for a while will have (ie they are either not Microsoft specific or not specific to the product the exam is based on). So the guy at work was complaining there was NT4 or Linux based questions on the exam - so the older guys (like myself) who have been in IT for a while would "oh NT4 I thought it was great and start rattling off stories about the good ol days".

What I think is that some of the Comptia exams are a good start since they help you with this general background IT knowledge.
    I scored about 90% on DNS but I failed on Users and Groups with a 20%, I have never a had a so low score on Users and Groups... I really don't understand... anyway I don't know if it's better to continue directly with Win Server 2008 certifications or 2003...
  • celtic_tigerceltic_tiger Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed first time with 720 and Im delighted my first server type exam and i had only 12 weeks to complete it (course paid for it so had a deadline) and was working 5 - 6 nights per week.

I used preplogic video training and CBT nuggetts former for the noob spoon feeding and second for more detail and also testout lab software (testout is great for this type of thing). On any exam I take if i can i will use more than one video training solution as often 1 may explain a certain part better than the other and also I think labs are very important and try to learn by doing more than learning by reading. I have the microsft lab manual for this one but did not get time to use it which caused me to stress and If i had to take it again I would go through the microsoft labs using 2 networked PC's or the microsoft virtual pc thing in which you can set up your own virtual network with a server spewing out dhcp to its virtual clients! I would do this slowly and soak it all in.

Normally I would take my sweet time and only sit an exam when I completely ace the labs and test questions so I think I was lucky on the 70-292.