Options

Etherchannel question

ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
Do the portchannel numbers on either side of a link have to match? I thought that they did, but my boss says that they do not.
More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thats a good question. I googled it and skimmed through several cisco articles and couldn;t find anything that explicitly stated they had to match. I would like to know as well. I wish I had gear at work like a lot of people on here.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    the port channels numbers on my 6509 do not match up with my edge switches.

Though for deign and support purposes it probably is not a bad a idea.

hth!
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I'm the same. As an example:

From the server stack:

Ports in the Port-channel:

Index Load Port EC state No of bits
    +
    +
    +
    +
    0 00 Gi2/0/1 On/FEC 0
    0 00 Gi1/0/1 On/FEC 0

Time since last port bundled: 49d:17h:02m:47s Gi1/0/1

And other end, on the core:

Ports in the Port-channel:

Index Load Port EC state No of bits
    +
    +
    +
    +
    1 00 Gi5/5 On/FEC 0
    0 00 Gi6/5 On/FEC 0

Time since last port bundled: 49d:17h:02m:47s Gi5/5

Guess your boss gotcha on this one.

Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They don't have to match from what I remember, however in the ICND book it says "Both switches must agree on the number for the EtherChannel--1 in this case"- that's on page 61 end of first paragraph in the ICND book for exam 640-811. It could be a typo in the book though, found allot of typos in the questions on the Intro book so this might be the case here.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The port channel numbers do not need to match, as long as the Etherchannel has a compatible negotiation protocol (LACP or PAgP) on both sides or you've set both sides to on you're ok. Also ensure you have the same number of links and all the links have the same L2 characteristics (such as trunking or vlan configuration)
    The only easy day was yesterday!