Options

Resume Review

sprinkl3ssprinkl3s Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
anyone here proficient with resumes and wouldn't mind reviewing one?

Comments

• Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    There are lots of people here that will be willing to give you structured criticism.

For security sake you should probably remove personal phone numbers, address, etc.

Additionally if you can upload somewhere so that it can be seen in its proper format will really help as well. Its hard to critique someones resume that designed it in .pdf format but copied and pasted it to this forum.
  • Options
    Link is here

it was created in word but i printed it to pdf file and uploaded it to my ftp server. feel free to post any opinions. Thank you all very much.

There have been talks of outsourcing here where I work now, so I want to have this ready to go if that time comes.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It looks good to me, the only thing I might change is to have your certifications stand out a little more in your resume by creating a seperate section for them. But it probably isn't a big deal.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    I will try to work that in.

Thanks!

ETA: would it be a good idea since i only have two certs to maybe put the cert logo's at the top like the comptia to the top right and the MCP to the top left??
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say no to the logos. Also HR people like to see action statements, where you can specify a need or problem and the action taken to resolve it. It's important to note you'll most likely need to customize any resume you send out based on the job description to ensure you're highlighting the relevant experience (don't tell me you're an expert in setting up Quake servers if we play doom here)

The only other thing is hiring managers have told me they don't read beyond the first page of a resume unless the first page really catches their attention, so some of what you have on the second page may not be read and you may consider moving it to the first page (in the case of certs and what not). My friend reads about 150 resumes a day so he can only give them about 20-30 seconds of his time to determine if it's worthwhile.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    ok, so as of right now i have following to try and do:

1. make certs stand out
    2. add action words

anything else that anyone sees?
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i think it looks very good, very different flavor than what i use and have used in the past.

concerning the logos ... i have not had any bad reviews from HR people or anyone in the time that i have started using logos on my resume. i try to keep them small and not over powering but enough to be noticed.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    I was thinking if i used little logo's on the first page like one in the top right and one in the top left. since i only have two it wouldn't be overpowering. I'll see what it looks like and maybe put a second link up for everyone else to see.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    U might want to take out some of the Awards. Why? What is FBLA and VICA? I don't know what they are. U should put down your Professional Society Awards..

What is CTC? Spell them out

What did u get for Network Security and Foresnic? Is it a certificate or something? Don't B.S... I can't get a network security degree by going to IT center for a seminar.

Change your bullet symbol to a "square" or "circle." It is easier for a computer to scan and read it.

Your job description is too general and look like you are copying from a job post. What is your accomplishment or achievement while working.

You don't have that much of experience and highly recommend limit to one page resume.

There is a lot of work on your resume. You want to sell yourself to the company and resume is very important. I don't see your resume will get you in any metro area, like NYC, D.C, LA, SF or Chicago.

Good Luck
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    I like the awards section and wouldn't take that out. Those are all nice achievements and I think they would say a lot to an employer about your work ethic, responsibility, and reliability. Technical prowess isn't the only thing employers are looking for.

The style bullets you are using I find distracting. Just a simple diamond or circle bullet would look more professional I think and not distract so much from the content of your resume. Also I would consider taking out the high school experience. For someone just starting out it might be a good thing to show but for someone at your experience level I don't think it adds anything but length to a professional experience section that is already on the lengthy side.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Instead of saying 'basic' skills in X, Y, Z say 'good' skills in X, Y, Z.

Basic can have many levels, so employers can't tell which level you're at :)
  • Options
    first off i wanted to thank everybody for their time

I've changed changed the bullets to a simple round bullet and removed the high school experience. I'm still working on putting some emphasis on the certs and adding action words. I will post an updated resume when i have this done.

Also I had a recruiter at RHT tell me this is one of the best written resume's he's seen in a while, so i just wanted to thank you all for your time and opinions.