Options

FAILED

apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
i didn't pass with a score of 525. there were too many scenario questions, which i knew i was unprepared for since books hardly cover those aspects of troubleshooting a network of mixed OS and NOS.

there were no questions on the OSI seven layer model.

only 1 question that had to do with media and topology.

1 question involving ipconfig.

no questions with apple.

i don't know how else to study since i was getting high 90s on practice exams (from four different sources). my future in IT is looking questionable.
Usus magister est optimus

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Sorry to hear that you didn't pass, but don't let it get you too down. First thing's first, try to focus on your weak areas. You said that the scenario questions were the ones that gave you a hard time, maybe you should try to recreate some of those scenarios to see if you can figure them out. Or, at the very least, go look up similar situations and try to work though the problems. You said you had several study-references, and you'll find lots of suggestions on this forum as to what books are worthwhile for the Network+ test. You can also look into getting some computer-based traning (CBT) in the form of CBT Nuggets or TestOut, which could give you a better perspective of some of the topics than books, alone, could.

The only other thing that'll help you pass this test is the amount of hands-on experience you have. Do you work in IT, have you done any home networking? If you don't have any direct working experience, then try to set up a home-lab with some basic equipment. For the Network+ exam, you'll really only need a basic router and switch, maybe a couple of Virtual PC or VMWare installs of a few systems you can network together, if you don't have the physical boxes to do it. You don't need anything fancy or complicated to start, just a couple of systems (virtual or physical) and some basic networking equipment (switch, router, cables,) and get some hands-on work done. It all makes much more sense when you've had to work through various scenarios and set-ups and you know how various tools and applications work. Go through the objectives on the Network+ page to see what you need to learn, and go from there.

Take some time, get things in perspective, and give yourself some time to study your weak areas. You'll pass it next time around, and we'll all be looking forward to your "I Passed. . ." post here on the forum.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    denko777denko777 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SORRY !!! Never get discourage. The best way to go, is look immediately at your weak areas and attack immediately. You should win and never CompTIA.

Good luck !!! icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    thanks for the help!

i don't have much networking experience when it involves more than one operating system, those questions were sure-fire killers as i was quickly second-guessing myself. i'll look into specific networking books for novell and linux/unix, not necessary network+ books, but networking with those OS in general. that should definitely help me work out those troubleshooting scenarios.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Hopefully, you can get some experience under your belt and refresh on the objectives then try again.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    ksimpsonksimpson Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    muyloco286 wrote:
    i didn't pass with a score of 525. there were too many scenario questions, which i knew i was unprepared for since books hardly cover those aspects of troubleshooting a network of mixed OS and NOS.

there were no questions on the OSI seven layer model.

only 1 question that had to do with media and topology.

1 question involving ipconfig.

no questions with apple.

i don't know how else to study since i was getting high 90s on practice exams (from four different sources). my future in IT is looking questionable.

If you need some scenario questions, try dopwnloading the PrepLogic Network+ demo. It has some of those questions.
    <b> DEGREE & CERTIFICATIONS </b>

B.S in Computer Information Systems, Security+
    WIP: Network+
    Next: CCNA
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Sorry to hear about your results! Keep trying! Do not give up. I know you will do fine with some more practice.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."