Options

Job Opportunity

MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
Because you all are the only legitimate people on the internet posting in forums, I would like to ask people's opinions. (slashdot posts are sometimes fun to read)

I currently work for a state job that I have to travel 50 miles a day and it is 50 minutes away. It pays 45k and I get every other Friday off (big perk). I'm a network administrator there and I am able to work on Windows, Linux, and Cisco. I enjoy the products I am able to work on but I dislike the fact that I have to do a lot of helpdesk like responsibilities... Like I have to answer helpdesk calls sometimes, fix people's dumb problems, make accounts, etc... There is a lot of weird drama but it is a good job... I wouldn't leave unless there was a better opportunity. I've only been here for like 3 months.

Well I have been offered and interview with a company that I bartered a minimum salary of 70k. This is a big company (55k people VS the 300 person company that I currently work at) and they are located in the city I live in. They want a windows administrator to administer their domain and servers at this branch location. I don't like the fact that it sounds like I have to only do windows work because I like multiple operating systems but Windows is good enough I suppose.

What do you guys think?

The company is Marsh and McLennan if anyone has any opinions on this company... And does anyone know a good company employee opinion site?
My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It won't hurt to go to the interview and at least try to make your best impression. At worst, you won't want or get the job. At best, you will get a big raise and short drive. While you are at the interview, they will ask if you have any questions. At that point you can find out if there are any Cisco routers/switches or linux boxes on site.

Good luck!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    I say, for 70k and no commute, take the job if offered and play with Cisco equipment and Linux boxes in your new bigger house on your own time! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I'd be all over that too.

More than 50% pay increase, save yourself about 2 hours per day from the commute, not to mention how much money you'll be saving yourself on gas.

And like theseman said, you can use the extra money from every paycheck and what you save on gas to buy your own computers to put other operating systems on and a Cisco lab for yourself and mess around and learn on them with the 2 extra hours you have everyday.
  • Options
    I've had 2 good bosses so far... I hate to change jobs and get a bad one. >_<

I will go to the interview and give it some thought. But I'm trying to rule my happiness over money.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Interview is today.

Feel free to post more of what you all think.

When do you all think the best time to leave a job is?

1 month
    3 months
    6 months
    1-2 years
    3-5 years
    Before your probationary period
    After your probationary period

You may learn something!
  • Options
    You all never responded to my question..

This board needs polls and more people willing to express opinions. ;)

I didn't take the job because it was a VERY limited IT job... Pretty much they

Created groups
    Printers
    FTP
    IIS
    OS installations

basically all the things I hate

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:

Yes we did. At least your first question:
    Mishra wrote:
    What do you guys think?

Mishra wrote:
    It has both. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's always a tough choice, having to choose between a job with a lot of learning experiences and low pay vs. high pay and limited responsibilities. I think it boils down to your own life goals and also how you feel about your current situation. I left my second job after getting out of the military for a job that paid a lot less but allowed me to touch the networking hardware (which is something I wanted to transition to) so I'm one of those that wants the experience more than the money. But I always look at it as paying (as in paying the diff. in pay you could have made with what you currently make) for the education (as in actually having hands-on, real world experience) all in the hopes that one day I'll be able to find that elusive job that pays well AND makes me happy. icon_lol.gif
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

Yes we did. At least your first question:
    Mishra wrote:
    What do you guys think?

Mishra wrote:
    It has both. icon_wink.gif

I don't see any poll options! Where is this hidden treasure.

And this question is what I was referring to. :) "When do you all think the best time to leave a job is?"

You may learn something!
  • Options
    michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    Take the job!!!! That small company is using you, besides when you get to larger corporations they usually seperate the work. A smaller company doesn't want to pay a bunch of different people to specialize in one thing
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    I don't see any poll options! Where is this hidden treasure.

I'm sorry Mishra, I didn't realize it is a Moderator only option until you asked.
    Mishra wrote:
    And this question is what I was referring to. :) "When do you all think the best time to leave a job is?"

I usually leave at quitting time, after 8 hours or so. icon_lol.gif
    Seriously though that question has so many possibilities based on the circumstances.

1. When you are no longer happy there and can afford to leave.
    2. Always give 2 weeks notice if at all possible.
    3. When a better opportunity comes up.
    4. When you win the lottery.
  • Options
    Ah. I meant when is the best time for a companies view on things.

Meaning does a company want you quitting during the probationary period, 1 year into the job, 5 years into it... Like when are they the most relaxed about you leaving.

My only opinion is that the best time is probably 5-10 years into the job when they know you personally and understand you quit for a better position...

You may learn something!
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    Ah. I meant when is the best time for a companies view on things.

Meaning does a company want you quitting during the probationary period, 1 year into the job, 5 years into it... Like when are they the most relaxed about you leaving.

My only opinion is that the best time is probably 5-10 years into the job when they know you personally and understand you quit for a better position...

umm, if your in a right to work state it doesn't matter when you decide to quit 1st day or 20 years later. you have to make decisions that works for you as they will make decisions they think work for them icon_exclaim.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Got another job! System Administrator (definitely more like an engineer) at a contracting company for 65k. Going to be a lot of great stuff for the 2010 census (lots of cool equipment). I'm much happier about this than the other job.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Mishra wrote:
    "When do you all think the best time to leave a job is?"

For god sakes man, this isn't a recipe. There is no set time to "leave" a job. You work until the placement is no longer fulfilling. Use some common sense.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:

For god sakes man, this isn't a recipe. There is no set time to "leave" a job. You work until the placement is no longer fulfilling. Use some common sense.

There is no reason to be rude. I was simply asking for peoples opinions on the best time to leave. Maybe you think 5 years is good, maybe you think anytime is good. It was simply just a question.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:

Easy there fellow. Last thing we want on these forums are rude people.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    Because you all are the only legitimate people on the internet posting in forums, I would like to ask people's opinions. (slashdot posts are sometimes fun to read)

I currently work for a state job that I have to travel 50 miles a day and it is 50 minutes away. It pays 45k and I get every other Friday off (big perk). I'm a network administrator there and I am able to work on Windows, Linux, and Cisco. I enjoy the products I am able to work on but I dislike the fact that I have to do a lot of helpdesk like responsibilities... Like I have to answer helpdesk calls sometimes, fix people's dumb problems, make accounts, etc... There is a lot of weird drama but it is a good job... I wouldn't leave unless there was a better opportunity. I've only been here for like 3 months.

Well I have been offered and interview with a company that I bartered a minimum salary of 70k. This is a big company (55k people VS the 300 person company that I currently work at) and they are located in the city I live in. They want a windows administrator to administer their domain and servers at this branch location. I don't like the fact that it sounds like I have to only do windows work because I like multiple operating systems but Windows is good enough I suppose.

What do you guys think?

The company is Marsh and McLennan if anyone has any opinions on this company... And does anyone know a good company employee opinion site?

I'm exactly in the same situation Mishra, I don't know if we are allowed to disclose the company name we work for, but I currently work for XYZ and have an offer to work with ABC , the pay rate is 70 K 40 % pay increase, and I'm able to deal with windows and unix environment, one of the perk is I only work 4 x a week with ABC.

I am very confused at this point weather to start a new position, specially I've only been with XYZ for 11 months, XYZ in general is a good company and is one of fortune 100 best company to work they are ranked 27th, but also have its bad side with multiple drama and and workers having a MASTERS in CYA covering their ass and tend to always pass the blame to someone. Bottomline is XYZ is a good company and a possibility to grow with the company in the next 2 years as far as what I'm seeing.

But ABC offer is also very good, and the wait for 2 years is no longer necessary, please advise, and Mishra sorry if I'm taking away your thread, but I thought it would be best if I also post this here since it is exactly identical issue. :P

I can take it off and put it on a different one if ya like.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    I offer my sincerest apologies. Without my afternoon cookie I am a disaster.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]