Options

Someone please clarify this one for me!

mattiplermattipler Member Posts: 175
What are the maximum transmission distances for:

1000base-sx
1000base-lx

I keep finding contradicting distances so if someone could quickly clarify this me I'll send beer tokens in the post. :D
Matt of England

Comments

• Options
    wait2dominatewait2dominate Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mattipler wrote:
    What are the maximum transmission distances for:

1000base-sx
    1000base-lx

I keep finding contradicting distances so if someone could quickly clarify this me I'll send beer tokens in the post. :D

From what I see online, they differ depending on the wavelength of the light being transmitted.

As for what Cisco states in their online curriculum,
    1000Base-SX : max segment length is 275m for 62.5micro fiber, 550m for 50 micro fiber
    1000Base-LX : max segment length is 440m for 62.5 micro fiber, 550m for 50 micro fiber, 3-10km on single-mode fiber
    Brake lights are a sign your car doesn't handle well enough.

CCNP or MCSE is next to come.
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Shoot, bro... I hope this is a curiosity or point of interest for you, cause otherwise... stop, drop, and roll. Don't waste a single synaptic vesicle on such useless trivia.

My thoughts, anyway, mate.

Course, if you're planning on running cable for the rest of your days, have at it.

Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    Cheers Wait2dominate, appreciate the response. Those are the stats I've got down but was a little confused by contradicting sources. Cheers for clearing that up for me.

mikearama... errrrrrrr. No beer tokens for you... sounds like you've had enough! icon_lol.gif Only kidding... need to know it for the CCNA.
    Matt of England
  • Options
    Who told you that?
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

• Options
    My Academy tutor. The Cisco curriculum. Why, is it not really relevant to actual exam?
    Matt of England
  • Options
    I gotta think how to word this clearly, yet without violating the NDA.

NOPE, don't waste your time. You won't find it on any exam objectives.

Hopefully that was succinct enough, yet vague enough.

Mike

• Options
    LOL! icon_lol.gif Point taken!!! icon_lol.gif I'll be able to sleep tonight without waking constantly, covered in sweat, gibbering incoherently about single and multimode fiber! :)

Cheers mate.
    Matt of England