Options

Need Help for Interview Tomorrow ASAP Please

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
I have a technical interview tomorrow for a help desk position. I was told i would be asked about active directory and group policy. What exactly should i know about these two things in terms of what a help desk proffessional would use them for?

Thanks for your guys help in advance,

win2k4

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't think doing helpdesk you would need to know about either. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a basic understanding of them. As a Helpdesk Tech you may have to reset user passwords which would require you to go into Active Directory Users and Computers in an AD environment. You also may have to troubleshoot issues with Group Policy I suppose. Just google for "Group Policy" and "Active Directory" and you will find plenty of information about it. Good luck with the interview!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    sthomas wrote:
    I wouldn't think doing helpdesk you would need to know about either. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a basic understanding of them. As a Helpdesk Tech you may have to reset user passwords which would require you to go into Active Directory Users and Computers in an AD environment. You also may have to troubleshoot issues with Group Policy I suppose. Just google for "Group Policy" and "Active Directory" and you will find plenty of information about it. Good luck with the interview!

You would need to know something about these things in most help desk positions. You might not need to actually be able to implement them, but you need to know the basics of how and why they work. An example would be a user calling to say they can't install a piece of software or maybe they can't get a usb drive they've connected to show up. Both of these things can be a result of a group policy, and you'd need to be able to identify if a policy is prohibiting them from doing what they're trying to do. Otherwise you might waste a couple of hours trying to help them get the usb drive working when in actuality, a group policy is stopping it from being installed.
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    Well i went in the interview today answered the questions to the best of my abliity and i got the job w00t! Its Tier 1 helpdesk they just started using a tier system too so their will be tier 2 to escalate issues to. Its for a big company support 1300 users. And its actually microsoft stuff i know and not some noc environment where all i do is answer layer 3 questions... I'm so happy.. starting going to pay 16/hr plus paid off holidays... after 6 months i'll become regular employee and get tuition reimbursement also w00t w00t! Plus this will be standard business hours 9-6 instead working late shift like i am right now 11-7....

thanks for the prior interview advice,

win2k4
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats win2k4! icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    jahman182jahman182 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS ON THE NEW JOB.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, wish I had jobs like that near me. Good luck :D

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    vviivvii Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS :P
    Obtained: A+, MCSE03, CCNA & CCNP

Coming Soon: Juniper ...
  • Options
    drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    that is awesome

Congrats
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Congratulations, sounds like a decent job!
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Sounds good. Congrats!
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    Good work, Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    szkizzerszkizzer Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I Love a good story Like this.... Good Job Homes
    "Never stand begging for something u have the power to earn."