Options

MS-CHAP V1 and V2

tawnostawnos Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
After going through the tests that came with the Microsoft book I'm having a problem with two (seemingly) contradictory questions about MS-CHAP v1 and v2. The answer to the first question states:

"Ms-CHAP v2 is supported by Microsoft Windows 2000 (and later) for dial-up connections and by Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 for VPN connections."

The second questions asks "When at a customer site, the [user] will dial in to a single phone number, which will go to a modem pool. The call will be authenticated by a Routing and Remote Access Server (RRAS) running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server" The question then asks which authentication protocol should be configured and the answer is to use MS-CHAP v2. Does this not contradict the first statement from the previous question that NT 4.0 would only support MS-CHAP V2 for VPN and _not_ dial-up connections? If so, which is right?

The tests with the microsoft book seem to harp on all the various authentication protocols quite a bit; are they a large portion of the test?

Comments

• Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Dial-up Connection being authenticated via RRAS is considered a VPN connection it's known as a demand-dial

Win 2000 and Later use MS-CHAPv2 for authentication for dialup and VPN connections.........

Win 98 and earlier only support MS-CHAPv1 (Correct me if I'm wrong.....)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP