Options

Sybex MCDST Deluxe Edition Question

SROSRO Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I am new to the forum and have a question about the above book.

I have exam 70-271 booked and am studying using the Sybex MCDST Deluxe book, as the book is spilt in two, covering both 70-271 and 70-272 is it necessary to read the chapters on 70-272 to prepare for the 70-271 exam?

The books says that "most" of what has been covered so far(chp's 1 - 6) is for exam 70-271.

Also how good are the practice tests for preparing me for the exam?

I have read the first 6 chapters and done the excercises, also setup a test network.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    BabietechBabietech Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SRO wrote:
    Hi, I am new to the forum and have a question about the above book.

I have exam 70-271 booked and am studying using the Sybex MCDST Deluxe book, as the book is spilt in two, covering both 70-271 and 70-272 is it necessary to read the chapters on 70-272 to prepare for the 70-271 exam?

The books says that "most" of what has been covered so far(chp's 1 - 6) is for exam 70-271.

Also how good are the practice tests for preparing me for the exam?

I have read the first 6 chapters and done the excercises, also setup a test network.

Thanks in advance.

Hi SRO

How did you setup a test network? I have two computers already with XP Professional and XP Home. Unfortunately the one with XP Pro nic card is not working. It is an old Optiplex computer I can't use that for network purpose.

I'm currently reading the same book, however, I haven't read the additional 5 chapters yet. I'm making flash cards as I card along for each chapter by pulling out the main important information I think I probably need to know for the exam. For example, bold words, commands, location fo system file in a folder, what is the maximum sector size for Fat 16 and 32, what clients uses fat 16, fat 32 etc. My be having access to a printer I created a study sheet using the questions on my flash cards by typing each question I created from my flash card and then print about 5 to 10 copies. I would quiz myself by writng out the answers on the study sheets and refer back to my flash cards to see I answered the questions correctly to see what I need to work on. After grasping all the flash cards, then I will proceed to chapter 2. Then I will go back and practice the exercises in each chapters. I'm doing that because the chapters are not that long like the chapers in Walter Glenn books. I'll probably do the same for his book when I'm done with Bill Ferguson's book.

You can also use Microsoft 70-721 and 70-271 by Walter Glenn and Exam Cram 2 book with Measureup. If you can you purchase Transcender practce exam cds.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.
  • Options
    SROSRO Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Babietech,

Thanks for the reply, my network is 2 laptops both running Windows XP Pro, connected to an ethernet mini router that has DHCP enabled.

You could try buying a replacment network card, they are very cheap these days.

I too am using the flash cards and find them useful.

Thanks
  • Options
    BabietechBabietech Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SRO wrote:
    Hi Babietech,

Thanks for the reply, my network is 2 laptops both running Windows XP Pro, connected to an ethernet mini router that has DHCP enabled.

You could try buying a replacment network card, they are very cheap these days.

I too am using the flash cards and find them useful.

Thanks

The ethernet card I have on the practice computer is a plug and play ethernet card. It is a very old old computer he orginally had Windows 98 on it but my instructors installed XP Professional on it. I keep that for practice purpose. I need to upgrade from xp home to xp prof. when I get some time. I already have the software.