Options

Yet Another Home Lab Question

lex0429lex0429 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
getting a lab setup for my studies, so ive been reading any and everything i could find about suggestions for equipment. To start im going to grab 2 Routers and a Switch.
Ive pretty much narrowed it down to 2 2620's and a 2924..Opinions much appreciated on those decisions..

My questions is i see the 2620's with a memory config of 32/8, 64/16, and 64/32..The price difference between the lower and upper one is roughly 75$ or so from what i can find.. What i want to know is what are all the benefits of running the higher memory config??

Apologies for yet another boring home lab question :o

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With more memory you can run the latest and greatest IOS. With homelabs, you will probably not be generating the kind of traffic that would bog down even a minimal amount of memory. I think maxing out routers are for enterprise and production routers. I mean feel free to max it out, but you would probably never need that amount of robustness. (is that a word?)

If you have enough time on your hands to experiment with every feature included in the latest IOS releases, then it may be for you. IF you are wanting to save money, yet have something that is adequate for Cert studies, then save your money. Happy shopping!
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    Netstudent wrote:
    I mean feel free to max it out, but you would probably never need that amount of robustness. (is that a word?)

Yep, you're good to go... icon_wink.gif

robustness
    noun
    1. the property of being strong and healthy in constitution
    2. the characteristic of being strong enough to withstand intellectual challenge; "the lack of robustness in the findings may be due to the small size of the sample"
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Other than 10/100 capability, why would you want a 2620? I was looking at them today and for the price of one I could buy 2 2610's or 2612's, etc.., and remember once you buy one they usually do not come with Wic cards so that's another expense to throw in. I know people might want to upgrade the RAM to run the latest OS that is on the CCNA exam but even an older OS will give you the feel and experience you need most for the test so I wouldn't sweat getting the memory upgrades unless you can get one cheap.
  • Options
    yes, soley for the 100mb was my reasoning.
    Thanks very much guys!
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    you need the 100mb interface on the 2620s for inter-vlan routing, so thats a pretty good reason to go with a pair of 2620s vs 2500s.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    you need the 100mb interface on the 2620s for inter-vlan routing, so thats a pretty good reason to go with a pair of 2620s vs 2500s.

Don't you get that same function from 2610 or 2612's?
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    Yes we have a bunch of 2610's at school that we use for inter-vlan routing. They do have a Fa port though. I believe they are running 12.3. So yes a 2610 can suffice but it has to have the right package. It would be cheaper to buy a barebones 2620 than a beefed up 2610. But you only really need one router to perform inter-vlan routing, not two.

Mark, thanks for the verification of the proper vocabulary. icon_cool.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As far as 2610's go they just have 1 10Mb ethernet connection now if you had a 2610XM that would be 1 100Mb fast ethernet. After playing with a few of the simulation programs that use real IOS software I would say they would be great for a CCNA but I would still get that switch. Also if you go the software way make sure you got a good amount of free ram and a fast proccessor. also a extra network card or 2 in your computer would be good also.

If you plan on working on the next level right after then the real stuff all the way may be a good thing.

But if you take a break or are tring to save the most money. Dynamips or something of that nature would probably be the best.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    yeah you can get the 2610XM or buy a fast ethernet NM for like.. $150-$200.... or you could pick up a 2620 for $100-$150ish. i got mine for $120 shipped.

Memory for the 2600s is fairly cheap though.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    TMM3TMM3 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Think 32/8 should be enough on them 2620's?

While on topic, what is the difference between that of the 2924M and just the 2924?
  • Options
    Crap, so Im worried now that my 2610 or 2612 can handle inter-vlan routing. How can I know for sure?
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am pretty sure that the 2610 alone can not as I have one right next to me running enterprise 12.2 IOS and I am unable to create sub interfaces on eth0/0. I believe you need a fast ethernet or better enterface and IP Plus IOS but that is going off of memory before when I was tring to get a 2621 to create sub interfaces and I just had the regular IP IOS on there.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can do Inter VLAN routing on a 2610, you just need the correct IOS version, I am running 12.3 on them and it works. You'll only have the option of 802.1q, no ISL on the 10mb link.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    I also have a couple of 1760's laying around, are these of any use to me or should i look at selling them and using the money to buy other equipment?
    Each one has a T1 DSU/CSU module in 1 of the 4 slots.
  • Options
    bearfanbearfan Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for another lab question.

Right now I have a Cisco 871W router and I got a 2924 switch on the way.

Do you think I need another router? Look like most people feel a 2610 or 2610 is much better than getting a 2501 or 2521.

What do you think of this router?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230153385025&rd=1&rd=1
  • Options
    That router looks okay, but I think you are going to need some serial interfaces. That router looks as if it were a production ISDN router. Then again, it will be hard to find a router with the exact kinds of modules you want. Thats kinda why I bought my routers empty. If it stays below 120 bucks it may be worth a buy if you can find some cheap WIC-1T's.
  • Options
    bearfanbearfan Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I agree I'd want a serial port.

This is a 2610 I found for $89.99, but I haven't gotten it yet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280135077674&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us

However, I will probably want to do the new tests in the future and I was told the 2610 won't run SDM which will be on the new tests.

I could also buy from Cisco Kits as they seem to have the backup IOS cd and even labs and stuff.
  • Options
    The Prize Is LobsterThe Prize Is Lobster Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    since I need a router for home anyway, and one would be nice for practicing I may as well kill two birds with one stone but man...after browsing...those 2610XMs are pricey!

I got access to a lab with a few routers...I'll stick with that and Netsim for the time being icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Ya they are....Thats kinda why a 2620 or a standard 2610 might be a better deal. BUt I would take Dtlokee's advice, You can do intervlan routing with a standard 2610 with the right IOS version, even with a 10Mb Ethernet. I thought you had to have a Fa port but i guess not.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well i figured i'd add my two sense worth in here.... As everyone is refering to the "right ios version"

What they mean by this is IP Plus. You can preform router on a stick with a 2610 but no ISL will be supported, only dot1q. Also keep in mind that 12.3(x) IP Plus requires 64D/16F.

Right now the latest version of IP Plus for non 2600XM Series routers are 12.3(22).
    example of ip plus for 2600's is "c2600-is-mz.123-22.bin"

But if you want my recommendation, use enterprise basic 12.3(22) as it requires same dram/flash and you get tons of more features which helps in CCNP when your persuing your CCIE R&S.
    Ent Basic is c2600-j1s3-mz.123-22.bin

If you are going for your Security certifications then note that enterprise basic does not include any cryptographic features so you will require IP Plus w/ IPSec 3DES which is;
    c2600-ik9o3s3-mz.123-22.bin

Also the 2610XM's are ideal for CCIE persuit since 2600XM's can run 12.4 they provide access to the latest features and IOS. In this scenario you will want to run Adv Enterprise Services which is; c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-16.bin keep in mind this image requires 128D/32F but this image covers every topic covered on the current CCIE R&S except MPLS. (which is done with 7200 series routers) Adv ent services will cover most cryptographic topics but not all. Once agian for CCIE Security get Adv Security.

"Yet another ios post by mg, lol i think ima just get a shirt that says "ios expert" icon_lol.gif

Any who hope this helps.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    MG, I've got a 2612 with "flash:c2600-i-mz.123-21.bin". It's running 12.3 but (21) not (22). I'm running this machine with 32/8. Will this be enough to run dot1q?
  • Options
    GodMadeDirtGodMadeDirt Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mgeorge27 - that's more like a $1.25 - good info!!
  • Options
    markzab wrote:
    MG, I've got a 2612 with "flash:c2600-i-mz.123-21.bin". It's running 12.3 but (21) not (22). I'm running this machine with 32/8. Will this be enough to run dot1q?

You have IP Base, so you cannot preform inter-vlan routing. You need c2600-is-mz.123-xx.bin

This is a list of what all your feature set includes;

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch?HMR_DDM=0&HIM_Id=760870&HDDMPlatFamDet=36&HDDMFeatSetDet=442&HPN_Text=&Q1Submit=CONTINUE&act=rlsSelect&task=display

To answer your question, no. This feature set does not include any features what so ever for dot1q encap.
  • Options
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    markzab wrote:

You have IP Base, so you cannot preform inter-vlan routing. You need c2600-is-mz.123-xx.bin

This is a list of what all your feature set includes;

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch?HMR_DDM=0&HIM_Id=760870&HDDMPlatFamDet=36&HDDMFeatSetDet=442&HPN_Text=&Q1Submit=CONTINUE&act=rlsSelect&task=display

To answer your question, no. This feature set does not include any features what so ever for dot1q encap.

Damn, missing the "s". icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As far on the home labs. I would suggest having your routers on max flash and dram running whatever code you deem for your needs. Reason being is that you can do intervlan routing on a 2500 under 12.2 version which I have done but also if venturing into the NP labs I have seen routers crawl/crap icon_lol.gif when bgp networks starts growing and having 16mb if dram ain't gonna cut it.

just the short of it if you can add memory add it.. theres not telling when you may run into a spot at which you will.

mgeorge: you will need a 12.2 version working with limited amount of memory or 12.3 the full ip security version 16/64 as a few of the 12.3s are screwed up>> learned it the hard way

markzab:same thing
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Also you will need 64D, you can get by with 48D if you use 12.2(15)T TELCO FEATURE SET but you wont be able to use 12.3 in that scenario. When you buy stuff off ebay always try to get max ram at least, you can always boot images off TFTP servers if required ^_^
  • Options
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Also you will need 64D, you can get by with 48D if you use 12.2(15)T TELCO FEATURE SET but you wont be able to use 12.3 in that scenario. When you buy stuff off ebay always try to get max ram at least, you can always boot images off TFTP servers if required ^_^

So in my case, bottom line, I need the "is" feature set at least and 12.3 to run dot1q. I also need to definitely upgrade my chips? Just the software wouldnt be enough?
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    markzab wrote:
    So in my case, bottom line, I need the "is" feature set at least and 12.3 to run dot1q. I also need to definitely upgrade my chips? Just the software wouldnt be enough?

you should anyway 16/64 if under 12.3 you will need the full Firewall feature set (unless they fixed all the bad images) or use 12.2 enterprise version .. anyways if you plan on doing NP save yourself the headache by doing it early icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    keenon wrote:
    markzab wrote:

you should anyway 16/64 if under 12.3 you will need the full Firewall feature set (unless they fixed all the bad images) or use 12.2 enterprise version .. anyways if you plan on doing NP save yourself the headache by doing it early icon_wink.gif

Any idea where I can buy it cheap? How much would an upgrade like that cost? I currently have 32/8.
  • Options
    No feature set on 25xx series routers will support IEEE 802.1Q. You can route between vlans yes, but you have to have 2 ethernet ports attached to each port on a switch placed in a different vlan (or native vlan id)

If i was you, i'd try to get enterprise basic for 2600's. c2600-j1s3-mz.123-22.bin (or w/e) As for routing and switching goes, ent basic will cover 95% of all required topics on CCIE R&S.

for security, like i said you need ik9o3s3