Options

Yet Another Home Lab Question

2»

Comments

• Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    No feature set on 25xx series routers will support IEEE 802.1Q. You can route between vlans yes, but you have to have 2 ethernet ports attached to each port on a switch placed in a different vlan (or native vlan id)

If i was you, i'd try to get enterprise basic for 2600's. c2600-j1s3-mz.123-22.bin (or w/e) As for routing and switching goes, ent basic will cover 95% of all required topics on CCIE R&S.

for security, like i said you need ik9o3s3

Hell, I'm just looking to pass my NA for now. icon_lol.gif

I found this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/32MB-DRAM-Memory-MEM2600-32D-for-Cisco-2600-2610-2611_W0QQitemZ290139255935QQcmdZViewItem

Good price? Is that what I should expect to pay for RAM upgrades?
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Open up your router and check to see if its got 2 sticks of DRAM, if so then you have 2x16MB, your going to need 2x32MB and if i remember correctly the 2610-2613 has only 1 flash slot so you need 1 MEM2600-16FS (unless you plan to boot from tftp if you want to save money)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Open up your router and check to see if its got 2 sticks of DRAM, if so then you have 2x16MB, your going to need 2x32MB and if i remember correctly the 2610-2613 has only 1 flash slot so you need 1 MEM2600-16FS (unless you plan to boot from tftp if you want to save money)

Nah, trying to keep this thing as least confusing as possible. Will open her up and let you know what I find.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    Ok, just realised I'd have to remove it from the rack and then remove the brackets as well...

Way too lazy to do that right now. Will wait until I hit inter-VLAN routing to worry about it. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Alright guys. I'm very sorry for all of the questions. I just booted up my other 2610 and this is what I have on this machine...

C2600 platform with 65536 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0xe7c2b0
    Self decompressing the image : ################################################# [OK]

Smart Init is enabled
    smart init is sizing iomem
    ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE
    000091 0X0008B800 C2600 single Ethernet
    0X000F3BB0 public buffer pools
    0X00211000 public particle pools
    TOTAL: 0X003903B0

If any of the above Memory Requirements are
    "UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported
    configuration or there is a software problem and
    system operation may be compromised.
    Rounded IOMEM up to: 4Mb
    Using 6 percent iomem. b]4Mb/64Mb[/b

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
    subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
    (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
    Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
    (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
    Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
    170 West Tasman Drive
    San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-J1S3-M), Version 12.2(15)T16, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Tue 19-Apr-05 12:23 by ssearch
    Image text-base: 0x80008098, data-base: 0x81960AA0

cisco 2610 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x203) with 61440K/4096K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID JAD04370FCB (1680712913)
    M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    TN3270 Emulation software.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    1 Serial network interface(s)
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    16384K bytes of processor board System flash
    (Read/Write)

Press RETURN to get started!

Ok, this is confusing the crap out of me because I see 64 in some places but then at the bottom 32. I also see 4 for the flash in some places but then at the bottom 16. Also, with regards to this IOS, should I use this one for inter-vlan routing over the other 2612 I have? Ugh, i hate this.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you needa read my guide icon_lol.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    I think you needa read my guide icon_lol.gif

Yeah, you're right. I read it a while back but obviously didn't take it in.
  • Options
    datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    What type of serial cards do i need to purchase in order for me to run a small lab? There are so many cards avalible, and I am not sure which one/type i need. The Cisco book just states - "serial cabling Uses a DTE and a DCE cable"
    Arrakis
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    datchcha wrote:
    What type of serial cards do i need to purchase in order for me to run a small lab? There are so many cards avalible, and I am not sure which one/type i need. The Cisco book just states - "serial cabling Uses a DTE and a DCE cable"

Well, basically as the book says, there is a cable which is specifically labelled DCE at one end (to provide clocking and simulate a TELCO) and DTE at the other end (to simulate the premise)...

For lab purposes (and maybe other purposes), to simulate many of the scenarios required for many of the CCNA exams, these cables are required...basically a DB60 to DB60 DCE/DTE cable...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    r_durant wrote:
    datchcha wrote:

Well, basically as the book says, there is a cable which is specifically labelled DCE at one end (to provide clocking and simulate a TELCO) and DTE at the other end (to simulate the premise)...

For lab purposes (and maybe other purposes), to simulate many of the scenarios required for many of the CCNA exams, these cables are required...basically a DB60 to DB60 DCE/DTE cable...

Thank you for your assistence, but what are the interface cards do i need to perchase?
    Arrakis
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WIC-1T OR WIC-2T
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Netstudent wrote:
    WIC-1T OR WIC-2T

WIC-1T, I thought those had the RJ-48 female jacks?
    Arrakis
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well if you are talking about RJ-45, then no that is a UTP cable connector. These are cards for a V.35 DB60 serial DTE/DCE cable. Try doing some research on the internet.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Netstudent wrote:
    WIC-1T OR WIC-2T

Thanks Net. with your help, i have found what i needed...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_mod/cis2600/hw_inst/wic_inst/wic_doc/wanser.htm

Thanks,

Cheers
    Arrakis
  • Options
    I want to mount 3x 2620 routers and 2x 2950 switches in a rack. Do i want a 2 post or 4 post rack?
    Arrakis
  • Options
    lex0429lex0429 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i have a couple of 1760's laying around each with a T1 DSU/CSU module...any reason these are no good to use also?

im assuming i can setup a wan link between the two of them using a crossover cable, correct?
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lex0429 wrote:
    i have a couple of 1760's laying around each with a T1 DSU/CSU module...any reason these are no good to use also?

im assuming i can setup a wan link between the two of them using a crossover cable, correct?

You need a T-1 crossover, not an Ethernt crossover cable.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    yep, got that..
    does someone have a link to a tutorial about configuring 2 routers to simulate a wan link using the DSU/CSU cards and the T1 crossover cable? Everything i can find involves using a back to back cable.
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out this link and you can follow the threads, but in the end the guy had the cable made up wrong and the config did work...

http://www.groupstudy.com/archives/cisco/200202/msg01410.html
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    Thanks. Just what i was looking for