Options

640-802

livenliven Member Posts: 918
Correct me if I am wrong, but is the640-802 the only test needed to get a CCNA?
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Options
    wait2dominatewait2dominate Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    liven wrote:
    Correct me if I am wrong, but is the640-802 the only test needed to get a CCNA?

That is correct. Right now, the test is the 640-801, which is available until 11/6/07.
    The test replacing that is the 640-802, which is avialable starting 8/1/07.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html
    Brake lights are a sign your car doesn't handle well enough.

CCNP or MCSE is next to come.
  • Options
    I have a 2500 router, will this be enough to study for either of these exams?

Also how long is each one valid for?
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    You should really check out the FAQ.

But you're probably going to want more than just your 2500 to lab it up for the NA.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    liven wrote:

liven,

Based on what I know:
    1. a 2500 router for the 640-801 CCNA is ok.
    2. a 2500 router for the 640-802 CCNA is NOT ok.
  • Options
    liven wrote:

liven,

Based on what I know:
    1. a 2500 router for the 640-801 CCNA is ok.
    2. a 2500 router for the 640-802 CCNA is NOT ok.

He's not going to get much in regards to routing protocols or switch commands or much of anything really with only 1 router.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think that depends on how much backround experience you have with cisco gear.

If you have never worked with cisco gear on the job, and you are trying to get certified so that maybe you will get a networking job, 1 router is not enough. Maybe 1 router and a simulator, which still it would be pointless to have only 1 router and a simulator. I mean this is a networking certification, how do you network 1 router??????? You can't.

If you are really wanting to learn and get some hands on, get more gear, buy a simulator, or download dynamips.

Now the model is fine, but the number of routers is not.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    I think getting a switch or 2 is also important in regards to learning layer 2 technologies. Sure you can memorise from a book but that defeats the whole purpose of why we're here.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree....Especially with STP. IF the test really wanted to, it could throw you an STP riddle from hell. Some of the ICND practice questions have some moderate PVST as well. having 3 switches to create a loop, and then playing around with rootbridge elections and port costs to see how the spaning-tree topology changes is good practice. To me, STP is one of those things that is hard to master without having some switches or a simulator. And still with only 3 switches, STP can get a lot more complex than what 3 switches has to offer. But it's probably good enough for CCNA level studies.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    my bad,

I have been working with cisco gear on and off for a while now... Around 5 years.

In fact I manage a couple of catalyst switches at work, I have studied for this test several times and was ready to sit for it 2 times... Just never made the plunge...

I would like to sit for it now and get it over with before the switch to the new exam...

Thanks for your replies