Options

Upgrading from MCSA 2003 to MCSE 2003

csmootcsmoot Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a bit confused. What is the point of the upgrade? Isn't it possible to get your MCSA on the way to getting your MCSE?

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The point of the upgrade is if you already have your MCSA/MCSE in Windows 2000 then you can take the 292 to upgrade to MCSA 2003 and the 296 to upgrade to MCSE 2003.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    The MS cert site made it seem as if they were upgrading from MCSA2003 to MSCE2003. It didn't mention anything about 2000. This is what I read: "An MCSA on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 has already met several of the requirements for the MCSE on Windows Server 2003 credential." So the 292/296 had nothing to do with it. That's why I'm confused.
  • Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    I've never seen that page before!
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/mcsa.mspx

It is kind of an 'upgrade', because if you have 4 of the MCSA exams done, you'll have done 4 of the 7 exams required for the MCSE (like you say you get your MCSA on the way to MCSE). So your 'upgrade' is 3 exams, the remaining networking system core exams 293 & 294 and the design core elective 297 or 298. I think it only lists the other elective exams as a warning because there are a few exams listed as MCSA electives but they are not MCSE electives.

MCSA - 2 networking system core exams, 1 client core exam, 1 elective exam
    MCSE - 4 networking system core exams, 1 client core exam, 1 design core exam, 1 elective exam
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • Options
    thats where I got confused. I was wondering why they listed the other electives. It made it seem like you would end up taking 8 exams total to upgrade as opposed to just getting your MCSA on your way to the MCSE which would only be 7 exams. Thanks for explaining!