Options

WoW does it again...

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies and then Everquest 2. Then went cold turkey and have been clean for about 2 years now. /twitch /twitch
    Kam.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If they extend to China I bet you Blizzard/Vivendi Universal will get around 5 million subscription, can you imagine their profit it is insane the CEO is ballin and counting money in their office haha!!!
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Kaminsky wrote:
    /twitch /twitch

I've just given in and it's a part of me or I'm a part of it...like the borg, I guess.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    World of Warcraft is a great game for people who think rolling there head on a keyboard is a skill.

$15 a month plus the average player plays about 20 hours a week... (20*7.00hr)*4weeks... ($7 minimum wage job)

$575 wasted every month. That is the way I look at it...

I understand 100% of WoW players always back up Blizzard and there Addiction.
    But I mean come on open your eyes...
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    I did a slowly calculation on how much total time I've put on WOW it's 4 1/2 months that is a full 24 hours a day computation, I'm a little happy with that instead of the 8 months that I guesstimate more kudos for me haha ;)
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Play Counter-Strike: Source and Day of Defeat ;)

One time payment (Just gotta pay for CS) and a ton of great online play!

I am with ya on that one. It's all about FPS I hate WOW with all my heart.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    WoW is a dangerous thing for me... I've quit... 3 times. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    jbaello wrote:
    I did a slowly calculation on how much total time I've put on WOW it's 4 1/2 months that is a full 24 hours a day computation, I'm a little happy with that instead of the 8 months that I guesstimate more kudos for me haha ;)

You're really proud of yourself, huh? If you enjoyed yourself, then more power to ya! We all have different ways to waste time I guess.

There is nothing I like doing that much for that long...
  • Options
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    jbaello wrote:

You're really proud of yourself, huh? If you enjoyed yourself, then more power to ya! We all have different ways to waste time I guess.

There is nothing I like doing that much for that long...

Not at all 4 1/2 months was too much it was no longer an enjoyment, but I thought I did played for 8 months when it was infact 4 1/2 months so yes that's better :P I quit WOW already since May of 2007 last time I played for a month was back in February then a straight week last month.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    jryantech wrote:
    World of Warcraft is a great game for people who think rolling there head on a keyboard is a skill.

$15 a month plus the average player plays about 20 hours a week... (20*7.00hr)*4weeks... ($7 minimum wage job)

Sorry, but that's sad to see someone suggest spending their spare time in a minimum wage job rather than having fun or finding hobbies. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jryantech wrote:

That's one of the most ignorant things I've seen in the last couple of weeks (and I've seen a lot of election coverage). I really thought I could avoid that sort of thing here on TE...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dynamik wrote:
    That's one of the most ignorant things I've seen in the last couple of weeks (and I've seen a lot of election coverage). I really thought I could avoid that sort of thing here on TE...

Unfortunately ignorance is unavoidable no matter where you are.....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    darkerosxx wrote:
    Sorry, but that's sad to see someone suggest spending their spare time in a minimum wage job rather than having fun or finding hobbies. icon_cry.gif

I think what he means is that its better to be productive in some way. Even a hobby is productive. When I had a project car, working on it was so much fun and productive because every time I worked on it then the car became better in some way. It was a blast to drive and I enjoyed it considerably.

WoW is what I like to call digital crack, it is definitely an addiction. Back in the day when I used to play MMORPG's, I would power level 13 hours straight from 9pm-10am because those were off peak hours and the dungeons weren't crowded. I suppose it helped that my power leveling partner was in Australia, so I was the only odd-ball with the weird time schedule. Imagine how I looked when I rolled into work... icon_redface.gif

If you play some MMORPG's a certain way, then you can technically profit with RL money by selling rare items. There are people on WoW that do that. I remember one news article about a kid in Japan that had earned $1.6M from selling rare items. It technically can be a job for some people. (Note* Explains WoW multiboxers)... Though I don't see professional gaming as a career, then explain professional gamblers. If it makes legit money and you are happy, I tip my hat to you! icon_wink.gif

Multiboxing.
    http://www.wowinsider.com/2007/07/06/multiboxing-madness/
    http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t13910-dual_triple_5x_10x_boxing_pvp_pve/
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

lol... I love how serious some of you are icon_cool.gif

I just have different views on life then you guys I suppose.

I really dislike virtual worlds like World of Warcraft, Second Life and other MMOs.

To me when someone on this earth will purchase multiple virtual items on Ebay for $100-$2,000+ dollars is ignorance.

To me ignorance is never someones opinion. That is just ridiculous.

But as I concluded before... MMO players will stand by there addiction no matter what.

• Options
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:

Sorry man. It's hard to tell when you're joking since nothing you ever say is funny :D
    jryantech wrote:

I really dislike virtual worlds like World of Warcraft, Second Life and other MMOs.

To me when someone on this earth will purchase multiple virtual items on Ebay for $100-$2,000+ dollars is ignorance.

But as I concluded before... MMO players will stand by there addiction no matter what.

You just seem to be making wide generalizations based on a few very selective situations. When there's 11 million people doing something, there's always going to be a few idiots who stand out. Give me that many people, and I bet I could find some people who have destroyed their relationships or lost their jobs because they couldn't tear themselves away from Wheel of Fortune. If you mixed those crazy stories in with all the other millions of people that play the game responsibly, they'd easily be drowned out.

I'm not bringing this up because you don't like virtual worlds. I don't either. However, my wife and a lot of other people I know enjoy them in a healthy way. I bet she spends less time and money doing that than you do watching TV, going to movies, etc. I'm not saying what you enjoy doing is any better or worse, just that it'd be absurd for me to pigeon-hole you based on what type of entertainment you enjoy.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Forget WoW. Have you guys seen the screenshots for StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty? It's got me thinking about jumping on the RTS bandwagon again.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

Sorry man. It's hard to tell when you're joking since nothing you ever say is funny :D
    jryantech wrote:

You just seem to be making wide generalizations based on a few very selective situations. When there's 11 million people doing something, there's always going to be a few idiots who stand out. Give me that many people, and I bet I could find some people who have destroyed their relationships or lost their jobs because they couldn't tear themselves away from Wheel of Fortune. If you mixed those crazy stories in with all the other millions of people that play the game responsibly, they'd easily be drowned out.

I'm not bringing this up because you don't like virtual worlds. I don't either. However, my wife and a lot of other people I know enjoy them in a healthy way. I bet she spends less time and money doing that than you do watching TV, going to movies, etc. I'm not saying what you enjoy doing is any better or worse, just that it'd be absurd for me to pigeon-hole you based on what type of entertainment you enjoy.

I hate this 11 million people arguement when you're smart enough to know at least 75% of that 11 million is in Asia.

If you seriously think over 3 million people in the United States play this game, then I seriously give up. Although I should have right when you started thinking opinions can be considered ignorance.

Oh and I totally agree with JDMurray, RTS all the way :D

• Options
    What point are you even trying to make? You're saying Asians don't count as people? icon_lol.gif

All I said was that when there is a large group of people, some crazy ones will always pop up and take the spotlight. Most of the stories you hear about people killing each other, playing to death, or letting a child die come from Asia, so you're just backing up what I said.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't mind MMO's, but WoW to me is almost by design a game that you have to waste countless hours if you want to do well in PVP which is what I would play the game for. That's why I don't play WoW.

I do play Warhammer Online, which I like because the PVP system is balanced and you can level up by PVPing. It's nice being able to enjoy a game in moderation doing what you bought the game to do (PVP) instead of wasting time doing countless quests and whatnot. At least I can spend an hour or so here and there playing and still have time to spend with my family.

One thing about the WoW people, since my job's hours were cut back I have resorted to working part time for my old job helping out servicing computers (they are a retail computer chain). Not much is worse than checking in a WoW addicts computer because they CONSTANTLY call trying to push you along to get the computer fixed quicker. The only real upside to it is, they never have a problem paying the rush service fee, and they typically don't bicker about the price and are more concerned about getting their "life" back.
  • Options
    The only real upside to it is, they never have a problem paying the rush service fee, and they typically don't bicker about the price and are more concerned about getting their "life" back.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

• Options
    dynamik wrote:
    What point are you even trying to make? You're saying Asians don't count as people? icon_lol.gif

All I said was that when there is a large group of people, some crazy ones will always pop up and take the spotlight. Most of the stories you hear about people killing each other, playing to death, or letting a child die come from Asia, so you're just backing up what I said.

No what I am saying is video games like WoW cause huge problems in those type of countries.

Gold farming is obviously the headliner. Funny how Blizzard uses those "active accounts" that are against there rules as actual "players".

I honestly have a lot to say about the issue but I really am giving up on this thread.

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    Buahahahahaha I'm out :P
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The ONLY thing I LOVE with WoW is this :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YRgNOyCnbqg

But apart of that no thanks ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    OK, for those of you that stood in line last night/this morning to get WOTLK, is the graphics any better than the previous releases of WoW? That's one of the big negatives for me. It's visuals are just too antiquated for my taste. That and all the running. icon_tongue.gif
  • Options
    Midnight release was Weds. My wife took yesterday and today off for it. And yes, the graphics are still terrible. Have you looked at Warhammer Online or Age of Conan?
  • Options
    I'm not much into PvP, so WHOL isn't very interesting to me. I'll wait for Spore Deathmatch. icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    srcurriesrcurrie Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone play Red Orchestra?

I used to play WOW. I was thinking of playing again...