Options

802.11n draft and 802.11g mimo/powerbooster

michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
I don't recall learning about 802.11n and 802.11g w/mimo and powerbooster when I took the Network+ but I'm seeing the technology on the shelf now. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Comments

• Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't recall learning about 802.11n and 802.11g w/mimo and powerbooster when I took the Network+ but I'm seeing the technology on the shelf now. Can anyone elaborate on this?

802.11 N and 802.11 w/mimo is not listed on the comptia offical objective list. These items are enhancements over the 802.11g.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    I understand, I just wanted to find out what's different about them. I think N has a longer distance and its faster, and since I wrote this post, I read that G mimo/powerbooster etc is basically a data burst. It's probably like how cisco has an option not to check the packets on its routers and switches when it sends data.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    The difference is mainly speed, and distance the signal carries....

I wouldn't buy any wireless N, at least not yet. From what I've heard, N is still in draft stage. Sure, nothing could change, it gets final approval, and everything is good. But if you buy an N router now, and they change any spec before going final, you'll have useless equipment.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    That's a good point...the reason why I even posed the question is because I took a part time job at best buy and when I walked in they had the N routers and the Enhanced G. I've been recommending the N devices but you're right they are still Draft. Maybe I should lean towards the G routers for home consumers. Do you think that the manufacturers may upgrade from Draft to Final by just releasing a firmware upgrade or if they may make people by all new gear altogether?
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    It's tough to say. It's not really the manufactuers choice. While they certainly have employees working on teams to help, the IEEE has the final say. Hopefully, it would just be an upgrade of some sort, but ti wouldn't surprise me to see them start anew with different specs on the computer. By the time they do finalize it, they'll be ready to start working on the next standard.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....