Options

Here's one for ya!

NeMiNaToRNeMiNaToR Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok just starting out on 70-210. Ive got the Study Kit 2nd Ed. off Microsoft. I was going through the exercise converting Basic to Dynamic disk type. It said DONOT do this conversion if your disk dual boots with 95, etc.. I duel boot with 2000 Server and 2000 Pro, as well as XP Home.

Before conversion I had 3 partitions, 28GB Primary, 10GB Extendted, 2GB extended. After the conversion the disk showed as X in Disk Management and the other partitions were gone. Ive tried a format and managed to reinstall XP (as it would no longer boot) but ive lost the other 12GB. Fdisk does not see it, nor does the XP installation program. Actual XP cant see the lost space either?

Where has it gone and how do I get it back?!

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Probably has something to do with NTFS versions. Like, I had dual boot with NT4 and 2k Pro for cert practice purposes at one time. In order to delete the partitions, I had to do the NT4 with the setup from the NT4 disk, and delete the 2k Pro partition(NTFS v. 5.0) from the setup disk for 2k.

If you start a setup for 2k, you will come to the option of which partition to install on. When you get there you'll probably see all the partitions and you can delete the ones you don't want.

Hope this works for you.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    NeMiNaToRNeMiNaToR Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    janmike wrote:
    Probably has something to do with NTFS versions. Like, I had dual boot with NT4 and 2k Pro for cert practice purposes at one time. In order to delete the partitions, I had to do the NT4 with the setup from the NT4 disk, and delete the 2k Pro partition(NTFS v. 5.0) from the setup disk for 2k.

If you start a setup for 2k, you will come to the option of which partition to install on. When you get there you'll probably see all the partitions and you can delete the ones you don't want.

Hope this works for you.

No ive tried that it did not work? They were not listed grrr
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Just started 70-210 about 3 weeks ago. This is a "good" problem to give hands-on(a lousy problem for you personally). Sure there's an answer.

If you find it , please post the solution.

Managing HDDs is almost a specialty in itself! I had one a couple weeks ago that had beed in FAT or NTFS that I was repartitioning/formatting I somehow came up with an HPFS partition to delete. Don't know how it got there, but I did get rid of it.

Best of luck on the HDD and on your studies!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It is a very common misconception that basic/dynamic disks have something to do with filesystems (NTFS). This is not the case. Dynamic Disks is not a feature of NTFS, and you can convert a basic disk with only FAT partitions to dynamic. Windows 9x, NT 4 and XP HOME cannot access dynamic disks, hence you shouldn't convert to dynamic if one of these OSs must use the disk.
    Fdisk does not see it, nor does the XP installation program. Actual XP cant see the lost space either?
    XP home edition doesn't support dynamic disks...

I think you should be able to delete and recreate partitions during win 2000 setup.