Options

Question

IchigoIchigo Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just wondering If I prepare with only the Sybex book for this certification will I pass or will I need to know 270 and 290. Also doesn't the book reteach you the material?

Comments

• Options
    ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    o woo dats a big jump...if u have the experiance go for it
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • Options
    I don't have much of a choices. -_-
  • Options
    Yisrael48Yisrael48 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hello i wrote this for another member but it goes for you to, there are some 70-290 questions or that look like them on the 70-291. For example networkmonitor and what is bad cpu harddisk lancard etc you need to be able to read those counters, when a networkcard is to slow or the CPU or to low on memory.

Use the Microsoft official 70-291 i have a 'ORIGINAL copy' with it you get a 15% exam reduction, see that as a cheaper book. The exam questions are good. So is the text the only
    weak spot is WSUS but play with it and read some Microsoft white papers know the difference between SUS and WSUS. Study the most on DNS secondly on DHCP i mean the interaction between them. RRAS Ipsec. The problem is if you dont use for example Transcenders it difficult to make a bridge between theory and the examquestions. But The Microsoft is very good it says
    when you see a question like this they want tot know that and the book is filled with it. The last one i messed up with 70-290 the simulations i had a score of 843 and that could be 900 if i made the simulations oke. So absolutely spend a week playing with an 2003 Box or else you
    will panic and be very frustrated on the exam. and you dont wanna get 657. I have used all other books 'Illigally' and i am happy for it it was crap syngres exam cram sybex believe me forget those for this one the Microsoft book rules.

DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS
    DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS DNS
    It's the thought that counts
  • Options
    Yisrael48 so read the 291 is what your saying.
    The book I have for 291 is a IT Academy which only has like 7 chapters.
  • Options
    Well dear brother i dont know that book so i cant say its good or its bad but what i can say is this....

Use the Microsoft 70-291 and icon_cool.gif transcender, the simulation question on the official Microsoft book are very decent and look like the actual simulations(of course not the actual exam questions but it makes you more comfortable when you are on the exam. This is one of the most difficult exams you will get on the MCSE track and you'll have to approach it with respect.

My advice is this a good MCSE system engineer needs to be smart it's a big responsiblity to maintain a network. You must be able to be very analytical, in other words. Learn how to get answers and over time you learn how to troubleshoot and solve troubles. Knowledge is air
    i am NT4 certified when i finished that track 2000 came around the corner. But troubleshooting skills finding the answers thats a skill you need to have.

If you cant find the answers about the 70-291 exam how do you think to maintain a network in the future? Even if you passed all 7 modules for 2003 you wont be able to setup and maintain
    a network by yourself MCSE 2003 is nothing more then a basic to start from there is so much more you need to know but oke ill stop the preaching. My advice for the 70-291 the official Microsoft book is very good only week on WSUS so you need to read some whitepapers and you have to play alot with server 2003 so you are comfortable with the simulations and drag and drop questions.

Study heavy on DNS you need that for the rest of your life and its main thing for 2003 now with active directory also learn the Interoperability with DHCP. RRas Routing Nat subnetting network monitor when to use NSlookup Netdiag DNSCMD etc etc.

Trancenders is good to check if you know the theory and can use the knowledge.

Hope this helps but it really really takes dedicated time for study. And just reading the book
    1 time from cover to cover in say 1,5 week doing some labs doesnt get you ready for the exam because you cant explain when do you use stubzones chache servers etc etc in scenarios. It takes a bit more then that and aim to get a high score not to pass the exam with a 720. Because
    after you are happy and thats feeling is gone you are thinking man i wanted to have at least 900 that gives you alsp more confidence for things to come and confidence you'll need on the job and with job interviews. Also sometimes they ask for the score and a pass is not always a pass think about it.

Well hope it helps a bit and yes i have to take the exam myself but i want a high score because
    this exam is core business every noob can create a user account and install a server 2003 even
    with minimum knowledge install a exchange server but to troubleshoot dns problems etc thats something for men not the boys.

cheers
  • Options
    My school gave us books to become MCSA or MCSE since I'm behind i'm just focusing on MCSA because if I knock out the 270 and 291 I'm sure I can get the rest to be MCSE on my own. I don't have my 270 scored 654 and were finishing up 290 I was focusing on 270 more -_-. Were starting 291 so is it possible for me to get my 291 first.

I plan study for the 291 with

Transcender
    Selftest
    CBT Nuggets
    Sybex 291
    Offical Microsoft Training Book + Lab Manual but the size is different then the selftpace it's got like 8 chapters.
    Labs a BUNCH OF THEM
  • Options
    Please read my mail, but i want to say 1 thing about CBT Nuggets, well the instructor look
    like a very symphatic dude. i mean James I. Conrad. I have seen only the DNS section for now but i have mixed feelings. The testout CD is far better in explaining things for the exam but the nugget is nice to have a second view on the subject but i wouldn't rely on it for the exam.

But the subnetting is for more value for what i have seen. So other chapters could be usefull but i dont think DNS and thats the main topic of the 291 isn't covered clearly enough. But all helps and the more sources the better. Also this dude is one of the persons who develop the EXAM Questions for the MCSE 2003 track. (GOOOOOOGLE).

My advice Microsoft 70-291 self paced training is the best book for 'this module' only short on WSUS but we have white papers from technet.

cheers