Options

dynagen plus real gear

livenliven Member Posts: 918
I was really thinking about spending around a grand on real gear, but I have discovered dynamips and dynagen and pemu....

would I be stupid to buy the real gear???

Or would it be wise to use the simulator software and combine it with the real stuff?????

I have no problem spending the money, but I don't want to "waste" the money....
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are a couple of threads that talk about the equipment for the CCSP (and its high cost) and the use of rack rental -- and now Dynagen and PEMU -- as a way to "cut the cost." If you go for all the real gear for a home lab, you'll need a lot more money.

If you did get some real gear -- Dynagen and PEMU can interact with it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Mike

I totally understand what your saying about the price factor...

I am just wondering if there is any benifit to using the real gear with the simulated stuff....

If not then I will most likely not mess with it... But if there is any benifit then I will definately buy the stuff...

If not then I am GETTING SOME FAT MACHINES YA BOYEE!!!! Well either way I will get the nice machines, so many things I want to do... The multiple snort rings, redundant backup server etc....

anyway, just want to do things the right way...

How about this. If you were in my shoes what would you do?
  • Options
    liven wrote:
    I am just wondering if there is any benifit to using the real gear with the simulated stuff....
    The main advantage of using the real hardware over the emulated/simulated stuff is that any software bugs you hit would be Cisco's icon_lol.gif

Dynamips and Dynagen work well enough to replace the routers (and used with real Switches) and can probably get someone all the way through the R&S CCIE -- but I'm not sure how well it will go over on job interviews when the new CCIE says "I've never touched or used a real router" icon_lol.gif

The main advantage of using the live gear with the simulated stuff is that not everything can be emulated or simulated perfectly (like the switches and the CSVPNs). I've heard someone has gotten closer to getting the IPS 5.x software running.... but I have the real 4210 and 4235 so I'm not following that closely at the moment.

Just like real hardware -- the working emulated stuff lets you practice and study whenever you want. The real hardware costs lots more money and the emulation software may cost you some additional time and effort to get it running and determine if "bugs" are software flaws/limitations, configuration issues, or Cisco bugs.

I use the real hardware when I can -- like when I'm working on individual technologies. I use Dynamips for the convenience and speed (with real switches) when I don't want to reconfigure my hardware to match vendor CCIE Workbook configurations.

Dynamips (and Dynagen) could be the cheapest way to go for the Service Provider CCIE and probably covers 95-100% of SP stuff.

Rack rental is probably the cheapest way to go for both Security and Voice (CCIEs and CCSP and CCVP) -- with whatever hardware/emulation/simulations you can afford for home technology study.

Dynamips (and Dynagen) and PEMU might get you about 40 - 60% of the way to the CCSP and would cover the "core" of the Security CCIE.

Dynamips (and Dynagen) could take you 75-80% of the way for the CCIE R&S, but maybe only 50% of the way to the CCNP.

With a little research and soul searching you'll eventually make your own decision about the best way to go.
  • Options
    Thanks Obi-Wan Kenobi,

Well I have some hands on experience... I think I am going to go down the road of both "some" real gear, and some simulated stuff.... I already have both, just need to get them working together. THis way I can build any thing that I might want... For the most part.

THis way I can simultaneously get more and more linux/unix/freebsd experience. I already have years of experience with those operating systems, but I think I might try for some certs with those os's as well.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    May the force be with you! :)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

By the way with Dynamips does anyone know what causes the error unable to start instance 'R1'?

I have been playing with live gear but wanted to try this too just as a back up. I edited the simple 1 file and inserted my ios image file. After starting the server and launching simple1, that error is produced.

Thanks
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

ITdude wrote:
    By the way with Dynamips does anyone know what causes the error unable to start instance 'R1'?
    Usually a typo or misconfiguration. Names are case sensitive.

Do you see it in the list command?

does it start if you do a start /all?
  • Options
    no and no.

If I try to open the frame relay1 lab it does that successfully but when I try to telnet in it says skipping stopped device:R2

The other labs all fail to start

Well I would say post your configs, but this is probably best suited for the hacki forum.

I would suggest looking around there and you will probably find out what you need:

http://7200emu.hacki.at