Front Panel Switch does not match Motherboard Connector

jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
I just replaced a Motherboard of HP Pavillion XT963 its an old computer with a new one i just bought from newegg which is made by DFI. Im stuck on the last part which is the connector of front panel switch to the motherboard since it doesnt match the pins against the connector. I do have the manual and I can Identify on the new motherboard where's the atx switch but im not sure if I can switch wiring on the old front panel connector switch or can I just have two wire to connect on the motherboard ( like the green and black ) would this be a good idea? because I tried to short the atx power switch and it power up the whole system it works fine. Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Are you talking about the Reset:Power:Speaker:HDD LED: etc... wires?

Why is it you cannot map them from the switch to the pins on the Mobo?? I'm missing something in your description.

You've determined you can short the pins and force the system to power on....so why are you unable to connect the Power Button wires to those pins? Positive to Positive/ Ground to ground if you are not sure...try one way, press the button...if it works you are in business if it doesn't switch the direction of the wire. (ie. letters up or letters down...if the chassis wires are labeled).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    yes its about the power switch the thing is the connector from the case is flat 7 pin connector and the connector doesnt have the label because it was used to plug to the original mbo. Can i just try plugging it on the MBO pins anyway I can and do a trial button on the switch till it power up?
  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    Im just suprised you got this far, that you managed to get an OEM DFI manufacturer's board in to a proprietry HP case (unless Im mistaken and HP use/d OEM boards?). Most probably you can't directly match the pins from the old board as they sound like an all-in-one moulded front panel connector? And your new board is expected to be placed into an OEM case which would have seperate individual front panel connectors so they can be individually set based on the board in use. You could try and push the metal pins out from the moulded connector and match them up that way (there are tools to do that AFAIK), it'd be a bit of a bodge and a bit fiddly. But if it works it works. It's a nice case design but wheather it could handle the heat of a new processor I would doubt it, it's looks a bit too small.
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    this is one of the strangest things ive heard. you bought a new motherboard so you can place it in a HP case? is that case really that beautiful hehe. buy a new case man. they cost like $30-60 average good ones.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I'm always truly surprised and thankful when I find a case whose connectors match the motherboard I'm installing.
  • jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    this is one of the strangest things ive heard. you bought a new motherboard so you can place it in a HP case? is that case really that beautiful hehe. buy a new case man. they cost like $30-60 average good ones.

Actually this computer is not mine a friend of mine owns it I even convince him to buy a new one but he insist on still using it he is on a tight budget , So we end up buying this. Anyway I already solve the problem I just cut half the old pin connector and plug the right connector to power switch and reset switch of the MBO.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get a Akasa case off Scan Computers they are huge and look really nice icon_lol.gif
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "