Options

In depth Group Policy etc on exam?

mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
The ExamCram2 book for 70-290 is kind of weird in that it covers group policy, administrative templates, linking gpo's, etc. but I dont see these topics covered in the MS Press book. Are these covered as in depth as it is in the 70-290 examcram book? If not, which exam goes into GPOs and templates more? 70-291?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    GPO is more of a 291 topic, but even so it's not the top of your priorities (nor should it be).

Once you have your Win2k3 + Win2k/XP lab set up, simply add some OUs, add users & computers to various OUs, and try out what you can do in terms of centralized control. Test out some of the Object inheritance, and play around with linking objects. That's pretty much what you have to worry about.

And don't forget about GPMC available here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0a6d4c24-8cbd-4b35-9272-dd3cbfc81887&displaylang=en
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    I just wonder why the 70-290 Examcram 2nd edition book goes into some topics beyond the scope of 70-290. It should just stick to exam related material.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A look at the official objectives might help clear it up a little:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.mspx

I think you only need to be familiar with Group Policy as far as it applies to things like managing users/groups and possibly a couple of the WSUS options that can be configured through a GPO and Terminal Server options that can be set in a GPO. In other words, just a few basics.

Exam 70-294 is the one that hits AD and GPO's as the primary focus.

mog27 wrote:
    I just wonder why the 70-290 Examcram 2nd edition book goes into some topics beyond the scope of 70-290. It should just stick to exam related material.

I agree. I don't mind when a book goes a little above and beyond the topics, but I like it to stay "on topic" as much as possible. When it does offer additional coverage it should make mention of the fact that it is "additional information".
    All things are possible, only believe.