291 Game Plan

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,192
This is my planned setup a switch with 2 box running windoze 2003, and 1 client with windoze XP.

1st Resource MS Press - Practice Labs/Concept/Etc.

2nd Resource Testout - Video/Simulation.

3rd Resource Transcenders - Practice exams.

Any suggestions please let me know, also can someone please tell me exams that are about to retire I know :P, I am only planning on obtaining MCSA with 1 MCTS, and will upgrade to 2008 later on.


Rundown

70-270 - Completed
70-290 - Completed
70-431 - Target Date is September/October
70-291 - Target Date is September/October

I am unsure which one to take 1st I know if I take 291 there must be some carryover from previous 70-290, please give me your 2 cents, I will gladly appreciate it :)

Comments

  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your resourse list looks complete, but I would look for additional (online) stuff for DNS and WSUS.

    The exams that are retiring include the Windows 2000 exams and the 2k-to-2k3 Upgrade exams (70-292 and 70-296).

    I think you should do 291 next as planned.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • wpiersallwpiersall Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Much like you I have went the almost the same route!!!


    1. MS Press
    2. TestOut
    3. Practice exams

    I have completed the 270 & 290, with my A+ and Net+ I only need to complete the 291 for MCSA. Then the thought is to go after the MCTS thinking about doing the Vista. Only because the contract that I'm on, the company will be pushing out Vista in November.

    I looking to complete the 291 Mid September. I have taken it once and need to work on the sims.
    Who is General Failure and what is he doing in my computer!!
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,192
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Your resourse list looks complete, but I would look for additional (online) stuff for DNS and WSUS.

    The exams that are retiring include the Windows 2000 exams and the 2k-to-2k3 Upgrade exams (70-292 and 70-296).

    I think you should do 291 next as planned.

    Sparky I got a trainsignal that mainly focuses on DNS, wonder if you've used it?
  • joedubbjoedubb Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have passed the 70-270, 70-290, and soon to be the 70-291. In late 2004 and early 2005, I became A+ and Network+ certified. When I pass the 70-291 exam, will I then be MCSA certified? I'm confused because I thought that I would have to pass an elective to become MCSA certified. If someone could fill me in on this, that would be greatly appreciated.

    P.S. If someone has a really good resource for WSUS topics that will be on the 70-291 exam, that would be great also. Thanks!

    - Joe C.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,192
    Network + and A + is considered an elective, so if you pass 291 your a MCSA woohooo!!!

    WSUS not sure, I'm doing the LAB.
  • Yisrael48Yisrael48 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well the gameplan is good the more sources you use i think the better
    you will understand topics needed to know for 291. But my advice
    Testout is good i have done the whole CD but, it think CBT nuggets might be
    a better choise especially if you can fidle with a 2003 box at home. The guy
    who did the 291 video also makes parts of the question pools my experiences is
    that the CBT video more clearly explains stuff so Testout good CBT better, the only
    thing is Testout has good simulation practises but then again fidling on a real box is
    better.

    For MCSA you need for example 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-284 or another elective.
    MCSE is 3 more modules.
    It's the thought that counts
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,192
    Thanks I will check if I can get CBT_Nuggets in Ebay they are kinda pricey.
  • cndshullawcndshullaw Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You should check out Learnkey...i've used it for everything. That guy is awsome.
    <a href="http://www.danasoft.com"><img src="http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg&quot; border="0"></a><p><div style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:11px;">Sign
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,192
    Thanks I am going to try the full drive MCSE track 11 gig material from CBT Nuggets.

    Then I will also try learnkey :)
  • kabmorrykabmorry Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jbaello wrote:
    Network + and A + is considered an elective, so if you pass 291 your a MCSA woohooo!!!

    WSUS not sure, I'm doing the LAB.

    Ok you did say having N+ and A+ constitute as an elective.
    How about if i only have the A+ then pass the (270,290,291)? Would i become MCSA or i need to do the 292 too?

    thanks
    The best thing you can do for ur self is to do the BEST for your self
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    kabmorry wrote:

    Ok you did say having N+ and A+ constitute as an elective.
    How about if i only have the A+ then pass the (270,290,291)? Would i become MCSA or i need to do the 292 too?

    thanks


    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    joedubb wrote:
    I have passed the 70-270, 70-290, and soon to be the 70-291. In late 2004 and early 2005, I became A+ and Network+ certified. When I pass the 70-291 exam, will I then be MCSA certified? I'm confused because I thought that I would have to pass an elective to become MCSA certified. If someone could fill me in on this, that would be greatly appreciated.

    P.S. If someone has a really good resource for WSUS topics that will be on the 70-291 exam, that would be great also. Thanks!

    - Joe C.

    You can read the users guide to WSUS

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

    You may learn something!
Sign In or Register to comment.