Options

Getting ready to start my CWNA class at New Horizons

Sheik YerboutiSheik Yerbouti Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone else done this? I just found out it doesn't include the price of the exam, also, I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy that book by Coleman and Westcott in addition to the classroom textbook. This is a mentored class, and I'm a little nervous about that, I need someone over my shoulder...
Anyway, I start it on the 20th, and hopefully it will take my IT career into a new direction with much more growth potential.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I don't know anything about the CWNA classes at your New Horizons location, but there may be some talk of it in the forums at the CWNP website.

And the Coleman and Westcott book is quite good and well worth the money if you are planning on making 802.11 wireless part of your career. Wireless certification and experience is a great thing to have for any IT professional.
  • Options
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. I'm not very experienced with wireless, but I've setup my home, my parents, and created tech docs for work for end users to connect to it. I just need to learn the gritty stuff.
  • Options
    Ok, finished the class, it was 'mentored' and it was abysmal. I will not be taking the test, I don't feel nearly prepared enough. I hope they get this straightened out. And I really don't think that this is something that can be taught on a video with a book to go by (it didnt even follow the book).
    The guy mentoring the class was overworked and couldnt give the time needed for any questions. I feel like it was a total waste of time. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Sorry to hear that. At least you have a little more exposure to wireless networking than you did before.

How well a class prepares you for a certification exam will depend upon how much you already know about the subject, how much the instructor knows about the subject, and how motivated the instructor is to teach. It's important that the instructor already has the cert being taught as well.

Let us know if you have any questions about wireless networking and the CWNP exams.