Options

Network + Failed

bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
First off, I failed the exam with a score of 494 I thought reading the book Cybex Net+ and taking the practice test would be good enough.. Obviously it wasn't so I decided to pick up the transcender for this cert. I have picked up the tech notes from this site as well. I am studying a few hours a day now and am completely focused on passing. Couple of questions I had on the exam that through me through the loop:

Any help would be appreciated.
"You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Take those questions OUT NOW....you've just violated your agreement with CompTIA...you know that screen that you clicked YES for andI'm sure you've read (or not) ? icon_wink.gif
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Keep studying, practicing, and use this site's technotes. I am sure you will do fine next time.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bjaxx wrote:
    Was just giving a scenario base question. Don't get your panties in a bunch

Try a little thing called "manners" when someone warns you about a potential "account ban" issue if you like using this forum. Posting exam questions is one such way to get banned. Being rude is also frowned upon on this forum.

Good luck on your retake.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    bjaxx wrote:
    Was just giving a scenario base question.....

I don't want to nor do I need to get into an arguement about why I said what I said. We're here to help one another get certified, ethics and attitude is beyond the scope and vision of TechExams, those are up to your parents to straighten out.

If you're still interested, I will now talk about some of the things you mention in respective of their Network+ objective.

Domain 2.0
    Domain 2.0 – Protocols and Standards – 20%
    2.1 Identify a MAC (Media Access Control) address and its parts.
    2.2 Identify the seven layers of the OSI (Open Systems Interconnect) model and their functions.

a MAC address is part of the MAC sub-layer in the Data Link Layer (layer 2), it consists of 12 hex digits (NOT bit), which is 48 bits (since 1 hex digit requires 4 bits to represent), which is 6 bytes (8 bits in a byte). Typically, the first half (3 bytes to the left-most) is reserved for identifying manufacturers, and the rest is manufacturer-defined. This suggests that MAC addresses are unique, but DOES NOT guarantees it.

2.4 Differentiate between the following network protocols in terms of routing, addressing schemes, interoperability
    and naming conventions:
    • IPX / SPX (Internetwork Packet Exchange / Sequence Packet Exchange)
    • NetBEUI (Network Basic Input / Output System Extended User Interface)
    • AppleTalk / AppleTalk over IP (Internet Protocol)
    • TCP / IP (Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol)

IPX is the Layer 3 portion of the IPX/SPX protocol suite SPX is the layer 4 portion. Similarly, IP is the layer 3 portion of the TCP/IP protocol suite and TCP(and UDP) is the layer 4 portion. Email is an application layer (layer 7), in fact, email (the client program like Outlook or Groupwise) is actually above layer 7 sitting right with the user, the protocol SMTP or POP or IMAP that email uses are the layer 7 protocols. Because of PDU (Packet Data Unit) encapsulation between the layers of the OSI model, layer 7 protocols do not imply anything on the lower layers, an SMTP packet will arrive at layer 3 and IP will add the source and destination address (IP address) to the packet and sends it down to the data link layer where a frame is made and the MAC address is identified by ARP.

For a more complete listing of Network+ objectives, please see:
    http://certification.comptia.org/resources/objectives.aspx
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    bjaxx wrote:
    Was just giving a scenario base question.....

I don't want to nor do I need to get into an arguement about why I said what I said. We're here to help one another get certified, ethics and attitude is beyond the scope and vision of TechExams, those are up to your parents to straighten out.

If you're still interested, I will now talk about some of the things you mention in respective of their Network+ objective.

Domain 2.0
    Domain 2.0 – Protocols and Standards – 20%
    2.1 Identify a MAC (Media Access Control) address and its parts.
    2.2 Identify the seven layers of the OSI (Open Systems Interconnect) model and their functions.

a MAC address is part of the MAC sub-layer in the Data Link Layer (layer 2), it consists of 12 hex digits (NOT bit), which is 48 bits (since 1 hex digit requires 4 bits to represent), which is 6 bytes (8 bits in a byte). Typically, the first half (3 bytes to the left-most) is reserved for identifying manufacturers, and the rest is manufacturer-defined. This suggests that MAC addresses are unique, but DOES NOT guarantees it.

2.4 Differentiate between the following network protocols in terms of routing, addressing schemes, interoperability
    and naming conventions:
    • IPX / SPX (Internetwork Packet Exchange / Sequence Packet Exchange)
    • NetBEUI (Network Basic Input / Output System Extended User Interface)
    • AppleTalk / AppleTalk over IP (Internet Protocol)
    • TCP / IP (Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol)

IPX is the Layer 3 portion of the IPX/SPX protocol suite SPX is the layer 4 portion. Similarly, IP is the layer 3 portion of the TCP/IP protocol suite and TCP(and UDP) is the layer 4 portion. Email is an application layer (layer 7), in fact, email (the client program like Outlook or Groupwise) is actually above layer 7 sitting right with the user, the protocol SMTP or POP or IMAP that email uses are the layer 7 protocols. Because of PDU (Packet Data Unit) encapsulation between the layers of the OSI model, layer 7 protocols do not imply anything on the lower layers, an SMTP packet will arrive at layer 3 and IP will add the source and destination address (IP address) to the packet and sends it down to the data link layer where a frame is made and the MAC address is identified by ARP.

For a more complete listing of Network+ objectives, please see:
    http://certification.comptia.org/resources/objectives.aspx

Thank you very much for taking the time to go over that.

It wasn't my intention of doing any wrong doing. Fairly new to the website and am more interested in how things work then just having an answer.
  • Options
    bjaxx wrote:
    First off, I failed the exam with a score of 494 I thought reading the book Cybex Net+ and taking the practice test would be good enough.. Obviously it wasn't so I decided to pick up the transcender for this cert. I have picked up the tech notes from this site as well. I am studying a few hours a day now and am completely focused on passing. Couple of questions I had on the exam that through me through the loop:

Well I have picked up the Transcenders as well as the train signal.

I am passing between low 78 to 92 percent on the practice exam questions. I have read and read.. I feel that I am ready, any thoughts?
  • Options
    bjaxx wrote:
    bjaxx wrote:

I am passing between low 78 to 92 percent on the practice exam questions. I have read and read.. I feel that I am ready, any thoughts?

Passed my exam today. thanks for the help.
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    bjaxx wrote:
    bjaxx wrote:
    bjaxx wrote:

Passed my exam today. thanks for the help.
    Congratulations! Feels good, doesn't it? :D
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."