Options

CCSP Boot Camp....

mp3spymp3spy Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
So as most of you may remember me I got my CCNA earlier this year (Janurary) I took a pretty intense break, though not intentional it was prolonged due to other life obligations. I am planning on going to Grad School to focus in Networking/Network Technologies. I already spoke to my advisor a little about this. Without going off on too much of a tangent, my goal is to pull the CCSP before Janurary. As my Advisor said, working full time, taking 1 or 2 grad classes and working on your SP is "doable" but not easy.

The CCSP is something I want to accomplish not because I have to but to personallly continue and explore more of the Cisco World. Oh and not to mention my focus and interest is network security and network engineering. I'm almost ready for the SND exam so thats one exam I can put in the bag. Its not easy to lose your cisco skills if you don't use it on a day to day basis . I don't use it as much as I want to at work currently since i started a new job, hopefully this will be changing. Hopefully I'll be transititoning into something different which be more a Cisco / networking related.

So with all that none sense mentioned I was thinking about taking a boot camp, 14 day boot camp in my area (Northern Va Area) I'm a little skeptical since its so condensed but they said its very practical and you leave well rounded and confident and certified. The company is called Vigilar, anyone here of them before??? So what do you think people... drop the 6500 which should be paid for about 50% by my company and see what happens or prolong the CCSP and take my time while going through grad school? The way I have my grad program setup, classes consist of al most 100% networking and network security through the program life, the program is through Johns Hopkins Engineering School...Any sugguestions and opinions are appreciated.
Thanks
Ok CCNA BREAK IS OVER, TIME FOR CCSP!!!

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't pay 6500 for it, nor even half that. You just don't retain boot camp information well enough to make it worth while IMO. If it's more than about a grand, or at most two grand a week, it's probably too much.

Now if you were already a consultant or engineer and just needed the boot camp to rehearse your skills, get up to speed on stuff you don't use frequently, and just need the certification for a contract or something then I would say okay.

Anyway, you sound like you have a thirst for excellence, so best of luck to you whatever you choose.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Yea, I feel the same way, its just impossible to retain all the condensed information...I honestly wish Cisco had a group that sold refurbished gear at extremely discounted prices to candidates working on their Cisco Certs. I mean its almost incentive for Cisco so more people will generate more Cisco Professionals. Maybe have some pre-reqs with the program so they can be offered to serious people. Hands on is definitely the best way to go but in two weeks, very doubtful icon_confused.gif Ha actually the Vigilar dude just sent me an invoice of how much it "would " cost....witih the vouchers and books its over 7500 bucks....14 days straight for 12 hours/day

-D
  • Options
    EricOEricO Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For any of these schools you are paying for certification. I went to the Globalnet firewall training last year and then finished up the rest of the CCSP on my own. If you want to be an expert you can buy a book and rent rack time for trial and error. Also buy a good set of practice exams to prepare yourself for the manner the questions will be asked on the exams.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I own a school and we offer bootcamps. Why? Not because I think they're a good delivery method, but that is what the industry wants. Most companies will jump at the chance to send they employee off to a bootcamp for 12 days and come back CCVP certified. The reality of most bootcamps is that unless you're 85% of the way to passing the exams anyhow, the bootcamp is going to do little for you. The ones that say different are using marketing numbers (look at the fine print where it says we have a 100% passing rate if you follow our methods, the "method" being 10,000 hours of study and scoring 100% on all of the quizzes and tests you are given in the camp) or they are simply doing 3-4 hours of lecture and then the remainder of the 10+ hour day is studying ****.

Overall the person that gets hurt by most bootcamps is the student. They go to the camp, get completely overwhelmed by the amount of material, then go back to work and the employer expects them to get certified.

No matter what training path you may take, the majority of the work still comes down to the individual. You need to put in the study time, and practice the labs until you can do them in your sleep. That is the reality of certification. Any shortcuts are only going to hurt you in the long run.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    I own a school and we offer bootcamps. Why? Not because I think they're a good delivery method, but that is what the industry wants. Most companies will jump at the chance to send they employee off to a bootcamp for 12 days and come back CCVP certified. The reality of most bootcamps is that unless you're 85% of the way to passing the exams anyhow, the bootcamp is going to do little for you. The ones that say different are using marketing numbers (look at the fine print where it says we have a 100% passing rate if you follow our methods, the "method" being 10,000 hours of study and scoring 100% on all of the quizzes and tests you are given in the camp) or they are simply doing 3-4 hours of lecture and then the remainder of the 10+ hour day is studying ****.

Overall the person that gets hurt by most bootcamps is the student. They go to the camp, get completely overwhelmed by the amount of material, then go back to work and the employer expects them to get certified.

No matter what training path you may take, the majority of the work still comes down to the individual. You need to put in the study time, and practice the labs until you can do them in your sleep. That is the reality of certification. Any shortcuts are only going to hurt you in the long run.

Well said, totally agree. Actually Starting Grad School Focusing in Networks this fall. I'll get the CCSP sooner than later though..

-D