Options

First Week @ My HelpDesk Job Rant

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
Brief job history: First job was for real small co being the do it all IT person there. Got tired of doing everything there so searched for a new venture... 2) Wanted to try out helpdesk for some reason just so i can put it on my resume, turned out to be a NOC support position and not help desk at all worked there 2 months, and wanted to go back to working with windows what i knew most about. 3) Here i am first week at my new help desk job consisting of 4 ppl and i must say its real boring as hell all i do is sit at my desk and get calls on resetting passwords/creating conference calls/and occasional outlook or other app problem. I see tier 2 over there they literally sit right across us at tier 1, they get to do the actual desktop support stuff, settting up user accounts, email accounts, imaging, hardware, and seem to do more stuff in general.

With this in mind i should have probably never applied for help desk in first place, and rather applied for a desktop support position, of course i'm not dumb i know who most jobs wont let some random joe just into a desktop support position which is considered by most co's as tier 2. So i'm stuck here for atleast until 6 months (thats how long my contract is for) then hopefully i'll have a chance to move to tier 2 which i'm doubting at this point, considering they only get like 10 calls a day anyways. And they will probably promote somebody who has been in tier 1 longer then me even if a tier 2 position opens up.

Sorry i'll stop ranting now..

END OF RANT NOTHING TO SEE HERE MOVE ALONG

Comments

• Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Experience is all you need. Just keep learning and get as much as knowledge you can from your co-workers. You will find a better job in the future.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Don't get disappointed. I'm sure as most network admins on this forum will tell you they all started from helpdesk/tech support. I'm certainly one of them.

I have to mention helpdesk and support people are some of the talented people out there who not only learn from their own talents, but also from dumbness of those they help and trying to avoid how they think.

Keep the spirit up.