Options

New...

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey everyone,

So I am new to the Microsoft set of exams/training, just wanted to introduce myself. I have already completed my A+, Net+ and CCNA. I've only been working with computers for about two years now. A year working on computers/SOHO networks with the Geek Squad and a year as a help desk analyst for a large bank. I also have an associates degree in computer science from a local community college.

So, I think I am ready to take on the Microsoft training/exams. I have decided to use the book "Installing, Configuring and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Processional Self paced training kit" (SP2). I found a copy for like $9.99 at a local used book store.

I set a goal to get the MCP 70-270 by the end of the year (and of course, run all labs). Does this seem reasonable given my background? I was also given a Sybex book for MCP 70-270 that does not even cover SP1 and talks about the "upcoming Windows .Net server". Should I even waste my time with that book?

So far I finished chapter 1 and 2 in the Microsoft book. And, I am right in saying the material is less memorization that Comptia test and more situation style questions?

Any other materials I should get? So any input?
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Hey everyone,

So I am new to the Microsoft set of exams/training, just wanted to introduce myself. I have already completed my A+, Net+ and CCNA. I've only been working with computers for about two years now. A year working on computers/SOHO networks with the Geek Squad and a year as a help desk analyst for a large bank. I also have an associates degree in computer science from a local community college.

So, I think I am ready to take on the Microsoft training/exams. I have decided to use the book "Installing, Configuring and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Processional Self paced training kit" (SP2). I found a copy for like $9.99 at a local used book store.

I set a goal to get the MCP 70-270 by the end of the year (and of course, run all labs). Does this seem reasonable given my background? I was also given a Sybex book for MCP 70-270 that does not even cover SP1 and talks about the "upcoming Windows .Net server". Should I even waste my time with that book?

So far I finished chapter 1 and 2 in the Microsoft book. And, I am right in saying the material is less memorization that Comptia test and more situation style questions?

Any other materials I should get? So any input?

Absolutely. Microsoft is a mixture of those memorization questions and scenario based questions. I would put a heavy weighting on the scenario based questions. If you get a practice exam kit through Transcender, it can help you prepare by getting you used to the length of questions.

In regards to materials, I would also get the Sybex version of the 70-270 to prepare for the exam.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should be able to nail 70-270 by year's end no problem. As a matter of fact, if you are ambitious and have enough study time you could do 70-270 and 70-290 by year's end.

Good luck!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    msconfigmsconfig Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi
    Beside Microsoft Press book I would advice you to use Sybex and QUE books for MCSE Microsoft Windows XP Professional Exam 70-270.
    Regards
    On MCP 70-270
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Good luck with your exams, you shouldnt have many problems getting it done by the end of the year aslong as rl doesnt rear its head too much!! lol

Just stay out of the pub and off the women, or should that be the other way around....... icon_lol.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    IllusionkingIllusionking Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took a 70-270 course at my CC that used the MS training kit as a text book. Worked well for me. Just make sure it's something you want to dedicate yourself to.

There's not that much memorization for the test, mostly just being able to solve the issues they bring up.

Review the material here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-270.mspx for exam objectives and such.

In addition to books, use boards to add to your understanding of content.

Finally go over the technotes http://techexams.net/microsoft/70-270.shtml It's got alot of helpful information there.

Good luck and welcome!
    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    Done: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70,293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299,
    A.S. Electronic Engineering
    A.S. CIS
    A.S. Social/Behavioral Sciences
    Studying
    CCNA