What is the best training material?

njcowboynjcowboy Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am requiring my technicians to be Net + certified and some of them have expressed concern with Testout material. I have used it and thought it was pretty good.

Is there anything better out there? I don't mind spending good money for good material. I already spend 2K a year on testout.

I am looking for something for them to learn, not just brain **** and pass a course then get their hands on my million dollar network and have no clue.

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I don't have any experience with giving advice for cert prep in a work place environment (maybe it's a little different in a corporate setting?). But for my own training and in the training I've received in past at various jobs, I think having the following worked;

I'll try and share my experience through the lens of a long time employed personnel in several different work environments.

1) "mini tech-library", have a few hard copies of reference type/exam guides sort of materials for people to read
    2) soft copy (or maybe even hard copies) of documentation and job description for "what-ifs" and scenario-based material related to the job and the position. (you don't always want your tech to do what the certification objective says, every company is different)
    3) "Lab" environment....? You learn from your mistakes, I've found that some of the most prominent skills I have was learnt through my biggest mistakes. If you just have a few pieces of technologies for people to test things out, they can learn a lot in that environment. In my last job working with databases, we had 3 "identical" environments in addition to the production environment, even though the test platforms were also used for live reporting, some of us given the benefit of doubt that we were responsible and knowledgable enough to handle and work with sensitive data.

I guess I'm trying to say that in the past, I've felt most effective trained by the references that were available, the detailed documentation processes, and a place where I could "try things out". And of course, you can't forget about the knowledgable AND approachable manager/team lead.

Good luck on certifying your department of techs.

Added: I should mention that one of the most popular (and good) book around for Network+ is the following:
    http://www.amazon.com/Network-Certification-All-Guide-Third/dp/0072253452
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have never used Testout, what is it like?

I wouldn't rely on one source. Get a couple of study guides from the major vendors that they can share. Ex. Sybex, Syngress, All-in-one. Maybe a couple of review books like the Exam Cram or the Passport.

Also look into some testing software like trascenders, preplogic, etc.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For what testout does, I don't really think there is anything out there better. The way the modules are setup, the tests at the end of each module, and the little hands-on sims it makes you do is great.

I would supplement that with Learnkey's Network+ videos. IMO Learnkey is the best video mentor.

and of course the all in one book is pretty good too.

All this isn't really necesary to pass because of the low passing score, but if you want your employees to really get the most out of it and not just pass a test, then I think these 3 tools will be outstanding.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    I'm using Testout at the moment and it's really good. I can't really offer too much more than that because I haven't dont the exam yet!!

I'll let everyone know my opinion of Testout after I sit the exam.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I would like to hear some more on testout. I just saw their prices were about $500 per module, which is really not feasable for me to get for N+.

However if they are stupendous, I may consider dropping the $ for MCSA.
    The best thing about Testout is if you do the whole course and get over 95% in all the sim exams and then fail Network+ you get a full refund, assuming that you BUY a legal copy ;o)

If you pass, then it's money well spent!!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Boy wbosher, just about every post contains a plug for your favorite software ;)

njcowboy wrote:
    s there anything better out there? I don't mind spending good money for good material. I already spend 2K a year on testout.

Trainsignal and CBTNuggets have good video packages if that is what you are looking for. Sybex books are typically favorites by many members on the board as is Meyers (at least for A+ and NET+ material). And more recently the PDF on TechNotes.

CBTNuggets focuses more on each exam. TrainSignal focuses on the subject material so you'll have a more well-rounded experience and not so Q&A oriented.

Both are good (IMHO). I prefer books mostly.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Boy wbosher, just about every post contains a plug for your favorite software ;)

Yeah, I went a little crazy (I don't work for Testout by the way).

I've started using Train Signal and you're right when you say that it focuses on the subject more than the exam. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Testout does (another plug) but it does explain some things in far more detail than Testout.

Can't wait to get CBTNuggets next and take a look at that. This is getting quite addictive!!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    wbosher wrote:
    Plantwiz wrote:

Yeah, I went a little crazy (I don't work for Testout by the way).

I've started using Train Signal and you're right when you say that it focuses on the subject more than the exam. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Testout does (another plug) but it does explain some things in far more detail than Testout.

Can't wait to get CBTNuggets next and take a look at that. This is getting quite addictive!!

No hard feelings, just teasing :)

It's good to have someone passionate about something other then the main *big* regulars. They are big and good and have proven their worth over time....you and a few others are starting to comment positively on TestOut, I'll take another look at their materials when I have a moment. Wasn't wow'd the first time...doesn't make them bad, just weren't an interest of mine back then...so maybe they've made some changes.

Thanks for contributing!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?