Options

Can't Telnet into the Switch

gabrielbtoledogabrielbtoledo Member Posts: 217
I was following the lab Switch Configuration Basics *NEW* from techexams and I can't telent into my switch.
Just so you know, I'm using a simulator, but I don't think it makes any difference.
I assigned the IP address to VLAN 1 and subnet mask, then put the workstation into the same subnet. From the prompt the telnet request times out. (Can't ping either). And I know I can do it, because I telnet into my router in other lab.
A+ Certified - Network+ - MCP (70-290)
MCSA - CCNA - Security+ (soon)

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you do a no shut on the vlan1 interface? Can you post a running config?

You didn't by chance put the host on a port with a VLAN that is assigned to a subnet other than the subnet for VLAN1 did you? Not sure if that would matter with your setup though. Kinda hard to say at this point.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Hmm, that might be why. I just put the IP and subenet on VLAN 1 as said on the lab, then tried to telnet to it.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Ensure you have a password configured for the vty interfaces. Also ensure you have the default gateway configured.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    he would only need the default gateway command if he were connecting from another subnet. I think his host was in the same subnet.

Still good practice though.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Here you can see what I am doing: http://www.techexams.net/techlabs/ccna/lab-switch-basics.shtml
    The only difference is that I am using a simulator. So the computer connected is going through Fast Ethernet0/1 and is in the same subnet as the VLAN1 address.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Simulators do not act as normal equipment would. Even if you have everything configured right, the sim might have a bug in it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.