Anyone pass the SCJA (Exam CX-310-019)?

Just curious if any of you have passed the Sun Certified Java Associate SCJA (Exam CX-310-019)?

I have not touched Java since the late 90s and am looking forward to studying for this exam - just curious how "entry level" this exam really is.

Anyone?

Comments

  • tjcassertjcasser Posts: 38Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    The SCJA is.. wow-entry kind of entry. It's very basic in level and perhaps a little too much so. (It's also not a prerequisite for any other Sun exam.)

    I've taken it - admittedly, was doing it as a beta at the time - and I made my wife who is not a programmer take it as well for comparison purposes. (Her study materials consisted of Head First Java, and six weeks to read it, while I was simply relying on what I know from being in the field.) I passed easily. She... only failed by one question.

    Bear in mind that the exam was written largely for the Japanese market and was brought over to the US afterwards, and is a bit more basic than the SCJP examination. I would consider it appropriate perhaps to someone newly out of school and with less than six months experience in the field - any more than that, and I'd recommend the programmer exam instead.

    Something to consider is that it covers a lot of material as an overview rather than anything in depth. If you're looking for something to validate knowledge of the language, again I'd recommend the SCJP instead.

    Hope that helps.
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications
    MCPD: .Net Framework 2.0 Enterprise Applications
  • vegetaholicvegetaholic Posts: 38Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can directly go for SCJP because SCJA is just a basic it's too easy to pass.
    You can't kill Java because he is sun of king C.
  • nitdgpnitdgp Posts: 1Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi. I passed the SCJA certification with 100% score just 2-3 days before. The certification is very easy. But take it seriously. There are a wide variety of topics covered. I studied for a month or so. Wish you good luck :)
    Swapnil S. Sonawane
    Sun Certified Java Associate 1.0 (SCJA)
    B.Tech Computer Science (Expected 2009)
  • ChuuChuu Posts: 15Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just though I'd point out that Java pre1.5 and Java 1.5+ are almost different languages. If the last time you touched java was that long ago, you essentially need to learn from scratch.

    If you're familiar with C++, it's essentially as drastic of a change as STL was.
  • doyindoyin Posts: 1Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    nitdgp wrote: »
    Hi. I passed the SCJA certification with 100% score just 2-3 days before. The certification is very easy. But take it seriously. There are a wide variety of topics covered. I studied for a month or so. Wish you good luck :)

    I am planning to sit for the SCJA too but I would be glad if you could send me study guides and practise questions and answers.

    thanks
  • dogangokodogangoko Posts: 1Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have just passed the test with %90 Check out my tips at: SCJA Certified ! Gökhan Dogan - ICT Entrepreneur
  • down77down77 Posts: 1,009Member
    I am studying for this exam now as it is my next to last course for WGU! I am currently using the Prosoft Java Programming Fundamentals student guide and the Cameron McKenzie SCJA book. My plan is to take this exam the 2nd week in July and I will give feedback once it is done.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Posts: 725Member
    down77 wrote: »
    I am studying for this exam now as it is my next to last course for WGU! I am currently using the Prosoft Java Programming Fundamentals student guide and the Cameron McKenzie SCJA book. My plan is to take this exam the 2nd week in July and I will give feedback once it is done.

    I'm also taking it cause its one my my classes for WGU. I'm just waiting for my exam voucher.
  • down77down77 Posts: 1,009Member
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I'm also taking it cause its one my my classes for WGU. I'm just waiting for my exam voucher.

    Sounds like we are both in the same boat... My last semester (I hope) starts 7-1-09 so I'm planning to refer for the exam right after establishing AAV with my mentor. Just the final 3 left after this! (Capstone, Portfolio, Tech Writing)

    Good luck on the exam
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Posts: 725Member
    down77 wrote: »
    Sounds like we are both in the same boat... My last semester (I hope) starts 7-1-09 so I'm planning to refer for the exam right after establishing AAV with my mentor. Just the final 3 left after this! (Capstone, Portfolio, Tech Writing)

    Good luck on the exam

    Seems like you have done more than me. I'm still on my 1st term which is over on July 31st and im looking to finish off this term with about 62 CU's.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Posts: 725Member
    Well I just took my SCJA exam and scored a 94% on it. It was really easy even though i hate programming.
  • apena7apena7 Posts: 351Member
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    Well I just took my SCJA exam and scored a 94% on it. It was really easy even though i hate programming.

    What study materials did you use?
    What's your opinion on the Prosoft Java Programming Fundamentals book provided by WGU (if you used it)? It's copyrighted 2002....so I'm using that as a secondary resource. I'm also reading Big Java by Horstmann and the SCJP for Java 5 Study Guide by Sierra and Bates. I plan to sit the exam in late July.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Posts: 725Member
    apena7 wrote: »
    What study materials did you use?
    What's your opinion on the Prosoft Java Programming Fundamentals book provided by WGU (if you used it)? It's copyrighted 2002....so I'm using that as a secondary resource. I'm also reading Big Java by Horstmann and the SCJP for Java 5 Study Guide by Sierra and Bates. I plan to sit the exam in late July.

    They didn't send me that book so I cant really comment. They sent me a crappy Java Fundamentals book written by CIW for one of there exams. I just briefly skimmed through this since ive taken C++ and Java classes in the past. I did relly good eventhough im not a programmer and never plan on putting this certification on my resume.
  • apena7apena7 Posts: 351Member
    I think that crappy CIW book is the Prosoft book....yup, it says ProsoftTraining on the copyright page.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Posts: 725Member
    apena7 wrote: »
    I think that crappy CIW book is the Prosoft book....yup, it says ProsoftTraining on the copyright page.

    Yes it is the prosoft book and it is crappy
  • CS.StudentCS.Student Posts: 8Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    hello all,

    i want your suggestion plz!!!

    i have been taken a fundemental course in JAVA programming last year
    and i'm planning to take CX 310 019 exam (SCJA) in the first week of July icon_study.gif

    i dont feel that i remember much in Java!! just few things are still in mind icon_redface.gif loool

    anyway,
    some friends suggest for me to take SCJP directly !!
    but i thought its better for me to go " Step by Step "
    >>> need your suggestion over here !!


    one more thing,icon_rolleyes.gif
    how can i book the exam online?

    thnx
  • Don't waste your money, just go for SCJP. It really isn't that hard, the passing score isn't even that high. Just make sure you can read and decipher yucky, compacted, messy looking source code.
  • CS.StudentCS.Student Posts: 8Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't waste your money, just go for SCJP. It really isn't that hard, the passing score isn't even that high. Just make sure you can read and decipher yucky, compacted, messy looking source code.


    how much does it cost for one test?

    i dont know wether there is a Sun office in my country or not !!

    can i still book for a test if there is no office ? how is that ?

    thanks for helping
  • jamie.bell59jamie.bell59 Posts: 1Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    hello everyone . i m going to take scja exam on 20th aug 2012 . pls help me with the suitable latest **** and preparation. i want to clear it in one go.
    also i am referring scjs by robert j liguori and edward g finegan book . is it sufficient to pass the exam? reply ASAP
    thank you all...
Sign In or Register to comment.