Options

Seperate Windows

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi All

This may sound like a noob question and i feel daft for asking as i am usually good at finding an answer on my own

When i open 2 exel documents they open in the same window so the only way to switch between them is select from the task bar or the window menu.

This is also the case with internet Explorer, if i have a website open and then i click on a web shortcut it open in the same window so i would have to click "back" to access the other website

i would like these programs to have their own window

Can anyone help

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Right click, open in new window......
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    No joy networker

If i am in IE, then i can select new window and another window opens

I would like it to default to seperate windows all the time

Including any office documents

Lee H
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Right-click the taskbar, select properties. Now, uncheck the "group similar taskbar buttons" checkbox.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    sorry to be persistant about this but there must be someone who knows this

what hapens is this, i have shorcuts on my desktop to exel files and also websites, for ease of use i only go to 3 sites during my dinner so i just click em and on they come and they open in the same window, i am sure that the same setting applies to exel as it does IE, every time i open an exel document it does not open an new existance of exel, i need to view information on 2 exel sheets and it is very awkward

sombody just bloody tell me were this check box is before i leave IT and go shovel snow or something like that, aaahhhhh icon_confused.gif:

Lee H icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try this:

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Uncheck 'Reuse windows for launching shortcuts'.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Perhaps if you were a bit more clear in exactly what you were trying to do, you would get an appropriate solution. For starters, use proper punctuation and grammar while defining your problem. It might just be me, but I find it difficult to understand your problem. For example, you start out talking about how you have shortcuts, and then you follow this by saying something about going to 3 sites during dinner? icon_eek.gif

I still am unclear as to why you would want 3 separate windows for each website shortcut you have. Why not just use IE7 or Firefox 2.0 and have all 3 sites as your default tabs? To move between the different websites, you just select the appropriate tab...not awkward at all, and you minimize space on the taskbar.

For excel, the first solution I posted should do exactly what you are asking, unless I am misinterpreting your question.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With Internet Explorer select the Tools menu, Internet Options .

Under the Advanced tab , look for the Browsing section. Now, look for a check box labeled " Reuse windows for launching shortcuts ". Uncheck that puppy and you're all set.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    It seems our GPO is removing the option to uncheck "group similar taskbar buttons", i cannot check if this will work

Regarding the websites, i do not need 3 websites open at the same time, i assumed it would be the same setting somewhere that enabled both

Thanks for all your help guys

Lee H