Options

620 and 621 Exams

alharlandalharland Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey All,

I have just booked my 620 and 621 exams for 7th September to take advantage of some vouchers I have, whilst I also have a day off from work. The problem is I have never touched Windows Vista before. I have the software (also had the RC versions too), but have not yet installed it.

I plan to study for this exam from 29th August, giving me a total of 10 days between starting study and taking the exams. This is because I am sitting the 291 exam on 28th August, to complete my MCSA, and I have been prepairing for this exam for the last 2 months (hectic schedule I know).

For reference I am an MCDST (I passed the 271 exam with 933 and the 272 exam with 972). I have purchased the following Study materials to use:

1. MS Press 620 Training Kit
2. Windows Vista Resource Kit
3. CBT Nuggets 620 Videos

I will also use my Windows Vista CD in a VMware environment to test and evaluate.

Do you think this is enough time to prepare? Do you think I have enough study materials for both the 620 and 621 exams?

Any comments or advice welcome.

Regards,

Adam.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Whether it's enough time is hard to say because it differs a lot per person. Given that you study the right topics, which should be doable with the study material you have, it's not impossible, mostly comes down to hard work. Just make sure you actually use the features listed in the exam objectives and become familiar with the different config windows, so start touching Vista asap.

Good luck!
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Hi alharland,

To be honest, I do not believe that you're leaving enough time to study for the 70-620 & 70-621. 10 days, imo, is just too short. I took the 71-621 (beta) exam and just passed by the skin of my teeth and that was using the material you have (plus alot more) and using Vista beta 3 in a live environment for about 4 months.
    Microsoft wrote:
    Candidates will have experience deploying Windows Vista, managing security, and troubleshooting network-related issues with Windows Vista. Candidates should have at least three to five years of experience as a Tier 2-level or Lead Desktop Support Technician and must hold an MCDST certification.

See here for the page.

-Ken
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm thinking that I may reschedule the exams for the end of September and try to change my day off at work. This way it gives me a few more weeks to prepare.

I do have over 7 years experiance working in IT, working my way up from a junior helpdesk position to a general network/server/desktop support supervisor position.

If anybody else has any furtehr comments or advice, then I am grateful for it.

Regards,

Adam.
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    I think if you have MCDST then you only need go for the 621 exam.
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • Options
    I think if you have MCDST then you only need go for the 621 exam.

That's true, I didn't notice icon_redface.gif

Why are you doing the 70-620 & the 70-621?

If you have the MCDST, then you only need to do the 70-621. This will give you the MCTS & MCITP cred.

However if you do not have the MCDST then the exam combination that you have to do is the 70-620 & the 70-622. You will get the MCITP & MCTS cred this way.

If you do the exams that you're stating that you'll do, you'll only get the MCTS (from the 70-620). If you do not have the MCDST cred already then doing the 70-621 will not benefit you (you will not get any credit towards anything for doing that exam).

I've done the 621 exam and the only reason why I'm doing the 620 exam is because I'm also going for the MCITP: EA cred which the 620 is a requirement for.

-Ken
  • Options
    I am doing the 621 to update my MCDST to MCTS and MCITP: EST.

I am also doing the 620 to act as an elective for my MCSE, and I can also use this towards my MCITP: EA, when I come to do it.

So my reasons for doing both are to save me doing more exams in future. I think that makes sense.

Adam.
  • Options
    Snap :) That's the only reason why I'm doing the 70-620 also.

Did you get to do the MCSE -> MCITP: EA beta exam? IMO that exam was hard icon_cry.gif

-Ken
  • Options
    No I didnt, as I have not yet completed my MCSE. How did you get on? Have you had your results back?

I'm sure I'll be doing the live exam yet year, so something to look forward too. :)
  • Options
    Na, haven't had my results back yet, I have to wait another 2-3 months. I did the MCSA upgrade and the MCSE upgrade exam, both were very hard in my opinion. I didn't have the same amount of time as I did for the 71-621 beta exam to study for added to that resources weren't as available for the MCSE/MCSA upgrade as there were for the MCDST upgrade.

-Ken