Options

Please help me choose routers and a switch

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
Your expertise could save me some headache and cash :)

Which of these options I should go with? The difference in price is not that much, but I want to get the right stuff. Please take note of router and switch models in each option.
Option 1:

2 Cisco 2503 Router & 1912 Switch
16MB DRAM & 16MB Flash
1912 Switch
Cisco Back to Back Cable
Two Serial Ports per router
One Ethernet Port per router
One Console Port per router
One AUX Port per router
Three Power Cables
Console cable
Console cable adapter
Built in ISDN BRI port
Two Transceivers

Option 2:

Two Cisco 2521 16/16 Router
Cisco Catalyst 2924-XL-EN Switch
Back to Back Cable
2 Transceiver

Comments

• Options
    mysql1988mysql1988 Member Posts: 115
    get rid of the 1900 switch. You will be dissapointed if you use that switch for studies because most of the commands on the switch are not used on the exam. If I were you, I will play it safe and get a 2950 switch.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well if option 1 is 4 routers and 1 bunk switch I would go with option1 and buy a 2924. If option 1 is only 2 routers, which i suspect it is, then go with option 2.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i would say take option 2.. 1900s are worthless for the ccna.. i'm more inclined to direct people toward the 1700s as they have a fastethernet and can get upgraded alot to stay current with the IOS 12.4

the 2900xl-en is cool as well it lacks some features that the 2950 but it will work enough to make it.. however you only have til November so study hard and fast icon_wink.gif

o reminds me of the months before the NP changes
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Netstudent wrote:
    Well if option 1 is 4 routers and 1 bunk switch I would go with option1 and buy a 2924. If option 1 is only 2 routers, which i suspect it is, then go with option 2.

Good catch! It's 2 routers as you guessed. I corrected it.

Thanks folks for giving me your thoughts!
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    Keep in mind that 2521 does not have an ethernet interface. It makes a great frame relay switch with four serial interfaces, but you'll be disappointed that you can't do that much with it.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    keenon wrote:

What's NP? Don't we have enought ancrynms in CCNA already? :)
  • Options
    NeonNoodleNeonNoodle Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote:
    keenon wrote:

What's NP? Don't we have enought ancrynms in CCNA already? :)

Could be CCNP.
    I recognize the lion by his paw.
    --Jacob Bernoulli
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    as in the words of the Rock

THERE WILL BE MILLIONS................... AND MILLIONS

icon_lol.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I should point out that there's something "wrong" with each kit.

With option 1, you lack a proper switch; with option 2, your routers can only support token ring, so for your ccna lab, they are great as frame-relay switches, but you can't use them as ethernet stub routers to test routing unless if you have token ring available.

If I were you, I would consider getting both option 1 & 2...4 routers and 2 switches......sounds like a good decent setup.

more info about 2500 series:
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/cis2500/index.htm
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    I should point out that there's something "wrong" with each kit.

With option 1, you lack a proper switch; with option 2, your routers can only support token ring, so for your ccna lab, they are great as frame-relay switches, but you can't use them as ethernet stub routers to test routing unless if you have token ring available.

If I were you, I would consider getting both option 1 & 2...4 routers and 2 switches......sounds like a good decent setup.

more info about 2500 series:
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/cis2500/index.htm

What if go with the first option, but instead of a 1900 switch get a 2924 switch? Does a 2503 router provide what I need for CCNA?
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I *think* 3 routers and 1 switch is the "suggested" kit......
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    going to need atleast 2 switches... well, i suppose its not required just to learn the commands but for anything vtp, trunking, STP, etc , you'll need that second switch. i'd reccomend like a 2950 and a 2924, but it depends on your budget.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685