Options

Syslog vs SNMP

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
Help me out here, fellas... having a brain fart.

From my config...

!!!
logging trap notifications
logging 10.22.100.100

snmp-server host 10.22.200.200 version 2c whatever
!!!

Which of the above causes syslogs to be sent to a remote location... "logging", right?

I ask, because CiscoWorks (200.200, for arguments sake) can snmp walk any of my devices, but when I select Syslog Message Reports, I get nothing. Do I need to add a logging line for 200.200?

Much obliged,
Mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your current setup is logging systlog to 100.100, but SNMP traps to 200.200. If you want syslog to go to 200.200 then you would need to add it as a logging host.

Why do you want to do this?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    We run both Orion and Ciscoworks, both of which have syslog viewing/parsing abilities... meanwhile, our syslogs are going to a syslog server that we access for troubleshooting purposes (only).

I'd like to be a bit more proactive, while taking advantage of one of the two apps above... not sure which presents better yet, but I'd like to find out.

The CiscoWorks server is the snmp-server host right now... figure I'll point some syslogs at it as well. Then the Orion server.

I, for some reason, thought that since snmp was going to the CW server already, syslogs would be available there too. I know, assuming.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.