Options

Configuring a VTP domain

tottstotts Member Posts: 117
I just want to confirm that I've got this right and not missing something...
when you set up a VTP domain, eg... (#vtp domain berty

You only enter this on one switch and this effectively activates VTP on the network and the domain name propagates itself throughout all switches, right?
totts from essex

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only way it would be propigated to other switches is if the other switches are currently in vtp domain 'null' meaing the domain has not been set. Otherwise the updates are ignored.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
    totts wrote:
    I just want to confirm that I've got this right and not missing something...
    when you set up a VTP domain, eg... (#vtp domain berty

You only enter this on one switch and this effectively activates VTP on the network and the domain name propagates itself throughout all switches, right?

Not quite, you need to configure all the switches with the correct VTP domain name and VTP password (if set) as well as making sure that the other switches are set as clients as VTP defaults to being a Server.
  • Options
    OK, I think I have this... If you set up a VTP domain name on one switch, and all the other switches are VTP null (which you'd expect if they're fresh out of the box) then it will propagate itself around the network. If however, some switches are set up with a different domain name then it won't include them in the new domain, right?

Jedinight... I would double check that you have to configure each switch individually, I don't think this is the case. I believe that once you've given one switch a domain name then this is almost instantaneously propagated throughout the network and VTP is now in full swing. As long as (what dtlokee pointed out) the other switches have 'null' for vtp domain.

Also, by default, all switches are in server mode and they can remain there if you wish. Configuring them as 'client' or even 'transparent' is optional. Forgive me if this is what you're saying, I may have missed your point.
    totts from essex
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Check out the following flash animation at Cisco.com for a clear overview of the process:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.cisco.com/warp/public/473/vtp_flash/
  • Options
    totts wrote:
    OK, I think I have this... If you set up a VTP domain name on one switch, and all the other switches are VTP null (which you'd expect if they're fresh out of the box) then it will propagate itself around the network. If however, some switches are set up with a different domain name then it won't include them in the new domain, right?

Jedinight... I would double check that you have to configure each switch individually, I don't think this is the case. I believe that once you've given one switch a domain name then this is almost instantaneously propagated throughout the network and VTP is now in full swing. As long as (what dtlokee pointed out) the other switches have 'null' for vtp domain.

Also, by default, all switches are in server mode and they can remain there if you wish. Configuring them as 'client' or even 'transparent' is optional. Forgive me if this is what you're saying, I may have missed your point.

Yes you are right if the switches are "fresh out of box" then they would have the NULL domain set and yes it would pick up the "first" VTP domain it heard. I probably did not understand your question as I assumed that this network was already running.

Yes, by default even switches fresh out of the box default to Server mode and you can configure them as Client or Transparent as needed, but it is highly recommended to have 1 Server and the rest Clients or Transparent mode as if you leave all in Server mode if someone was to change a configuration on one of the switches, you could possibly lose a few VLANs or your entire VLAN database... Not good at all...
  • Options
    Excellent, I think we've wrapped that one up. Thanks very much for the discussion.
    Johan... that womans got a bit of a dodgy voice, but the video's good icon_wink.gif cheers!
    totts from essex
  • Options
    totts wrote:
    Excellent, I think we've wrapped that one up. Thanks very much for the discussion.
    Johan... that womans got a bit of a dodgy voice, but the video's good icon_wink.gif cheers!

Good luck in your studies :D