Options

CCNA Lab Setup - Newbie

zaphod1zaphod1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need help configuring and cabling my lab so that it will be optimal for my studies toward my CCNA. I have the following equipment:

3 - 2501
1 - 2520
1- 2509
1 - 2900

I even have a 1700 but it only has the T1 CSU/DSU card in it.

I do have a DCE/DTE cable and was going to connect two routers but, stopped there as to what my over all layout would need to be.

In other words I need advice as to how to cable all this rot so as to be useful in my studies and not a hindrance to me.

Thank you,
Zaphod
Doing what you can't do, is what makes it something that you CAN DO!!
...And keep your goals away from the trolls.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Hi and welcome on board.

In case you missed it, we have entire section called I want to setup my own home lab what should I buy and how do I set it up? in our "**CCNA FAQ** - Please read before posting" topic.
  • Options
    zaphod1zaphod1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Didn't understand that my question was part of FAQ's, have reposted hopefully in correct place.
    Doing what you can't do, is what makes it something that you CAN DO!!
    ...And keep your goals away from the trolls.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You posted it in the correct forum, I merely suggested to read the FAQ in case you didn't yet.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    it doesn't really matter how you cable your gear. It could be linear, triangular, or a loop, or frame-relay. The test doesn't test your ability to cable a few routers, it tests your ability to implement the technology.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would suggest configuring your 2520 as a frame switch, and configuring it so it is fully meshed. Then connect the S0 of each of your 2501 to the frame switch. This will allow you to make different topologies without having to recable your routers by simply using the correct DLCIs to create your topology. You can also cable the Serial 1 interfaces together so you can practice PPP and HDLC, but for the most part having the frame configuration will give you lots of flexability.
    The only easy day was yesterday!