Options

Network+: PASSED!

FuelInjectedFuelInjected Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all. I just passed my Net+ exam with a 680. I was shooting for 700+, but a pass is a pass.

It was harder than I imagined. I've heard people on this forum and others say that there was a lot of Novell/Mac/Unix questions on the test. I guess I got lucky, as I got virtually ZERO questions on those three (2 Novell, 1 UNIX, 0 Mac). However, there were MANY situational questions. Those types of question are not bad for me, but I was a little surprised to see just so many, especially compared to the A+ exam I took last month. I guess CompTIA really wants you to know the stuff rather than just memorize a bunch of facts. The Sybex Network+ book was a great resource (as well as the TechNotes here!) as well as the practice exam scattered around the net.

To people who are going to take this exam, STUDY EVERYTHING! Get the test objectives and know them inside and out. Just memorizing port numbers and cable lengths won't cut it. Also, know about the NOSes, as I've found that the practice tests online don't really go into depth about them.

Now that I'm A+ and Network+ certified, I'm open to ideas about where to go next (as I'll be getting my bachelor's next year). I want to stay on the networking/server side but I'm open to other fields. I'm planning on CCNA soon, but would Microsoft be good as well? What about Security+? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    oakguy19oakguy19 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats

microsoft line if you want to be an admin

ccna if you want a quick 50k entry level network engineer position

security+ kinda supplements multiple jobs

The trouble with learning from experience is that you never graduate.
    Author: Doug Larson
  • Options
    demikey4udemikey4u Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Security certs are always go good with stuff. They are nice supplement. Employers like to know you have some sense about security. But which path is up to you. What do you want o work on? Servers? Routers? Be a security/Intrusion detection guy? Network+ and Security+ are good starters for the CCNA path. But if you are going to go CCNA, go all the way with a CCNP. If you want to manage servers, go microsoft or linux or unix. Security, after you finish security+, go with the CISSP. It is one of the hardest and most expensive tests to complete. But by far it is worth it.

But the more you have the better. But it is better to stay on one path, then follow it down. Then you can branch out for more.
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Congratulations! I would suggest taking your Security+ next. It would be a great lead-in to security that you will definitely use for your future studies.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    denko777denko777 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you should look at CCNA very closely. angel.gifangel.gifangel.gif
  • Options
    justus1justus1 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and i agree with the CCNA.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I've decided to do Security+ as the last CompTIA cert. I thought about doing Server+, but I'm not sure if it's that necessary. Unlike A+ and Network+, which I banged out this summer, it may take a little longer for Security+, as I'm finishing my last year of college. I do want it before the start of the Spring 2008 semester, though.

Per everyones advice, I've chosen to go with CCNA (and eventually CCNP, but I'm getting WAY too ahead of myself!) as my next target after Security+. I see some similarities between it and N+, but I have the feeling that it is much, much tougher. I may give myself a couple of months for this one, so I don't enter the testing center ill equipped. Can anyone share any insight into the world of CCNA?
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass, im going down the ccna line after my n+
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    Drift KingDrift King Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congratz u got the same score as me lol!
    If u challenge the best u die like the rest!
  • Options
    @Drift King: I guess great minds score alike! :)

Thanks everyone for the congrats on the pass.