Options

TestOut simulations compared to exam???

squeakstarsqueakstar Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi
following on from a previous post of mine, i recently had a go on some the TestOut simulations through a colleague of mine who is studying a different exam, and i was impressed by how "realistic" the simulations were in comparison to the real thing.

I'm considering obtaining the TestOut 70-290 pack, and would like to know of your opinions of the TestOut series, and especially with reference to the simulations and how close they represent the topics that may be quizzed upon with the real exam, and if the exam versions of the simulations are just as forgiving, for example jumping to device manager either through comp management or through system applet?

many thanks!!!
squeaks squeak

Comments

• Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TestOut is a GREAT resource, in my opinion. I used it for the entire MCSE track, and with the exception of the 70-294 TestOut, the series is fantastic. Not only is the instructor a very good teacher, but the simulations are very close to tasks you can expect on the actual exam (NOTE: the instructor for the 70-294 exam is different, which in my opinion is why it is so bad).

The best thing I like about TestOut is the use of diagrams the instructor uses to explain key concepts. That, combined with the simulation exercises, really makes the TestOut series feel like you have your own private tutor.

Good luck!
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    squeakstarsqueakstar Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info!

I think i'm maybe a bit paranoid about the sims section after using the sims with course study materials - they were awful and you fowled up if you so much as clicked on a wrong button, but was a right but different way to do stuff. The TestOut sim i had a stab at a couple of times let me do things or get to required GUIs more than one way which was very impressive. I could even look at completely the wrong thing, realise my mistake find the right thing then continue correctly and acheive full marks - is the exam that forgiving?

I tried the demo of exam simulations from microsoft but the examples weren't too challenging or deep to get a grasp of the extents it goes to validly replicate an OS

My exam isn't too far off, so even though i think i won't be able to use all of the content for the exam it'll aid my cramming and hopefully be a good little reference in itslef for the future!
    squeaks squeak
  • Options
    NimitznlNimitznl Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BeaverC32,

Thats nice to hear. I am also learning with test out.
    And the instructor explain it very well. I like the sims
    I wasn't soure if this where a good one.

Back to study again