Options

experience for CCNP

MQuinn6MQuinn6 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can anyone tell me how many months experience Cisco recommends before attempting the CCNP? I've looked all over their website & can't find it anywhere. I know some people on these boards believe that you shouldn't get your CCNP without enough experience as it looks bad. Any opinions about that are welcome as well. :)

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't really say it looks bad if you have to CCNP with too little experience, but you won't be able to demand the typical salary of a CCNP with 3-5 years of experience. I would say the minimum amout of experience you should have is 6 months to 1 year. This does not mean you can't obtain a CCNP with less, just that it becomes easier when your job also becomes your study time. Much of what's on the CCNP can be learned simply through work experience, making your study easier.

I know somone who got his CCIE while working at starbucks, not in the IT department, serving customers coffee. Took him 3 years to do it, but he got it done. Had trouble on tech interviews with anything outside the scope of Cisco (like what is a SLA?)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    'What is an SLA' is covered in the CCDA material, so that is not outside the scope of Cisco.

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MQuinn6 wrote:
    I know some people on these boards believe that you shouldn't get your CCNP without enough experience as it looks bad.
    I wouldn't say its bad..... you just probably wouldn't be able to compete for CCNP level jobs against experienced CCNPs.

Starting work on the CCNP while looking for that first job to put your CCNA to use should give you a leg up against other new CCNAs competing for those entry level positions.

If you somehow managed to get the CCNP before getting that first CCNA level job.... then I'd expect you to show CCNP level knowledge during an interview -- and work for CCNA wages. :D

For the college kids out there working on certifications while also working on their degree -- go for it. And try to get an internship to get at least a little real world experience.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!