Connect to DNS

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am unable to connecgt to a DNS Server, I am trying to connect to my secondary zone, my configuration is correct they are on both subnet, and my DNS on TCP/IP is correct, but when I try to connect to my other DNS server I get a message "Access was denied. Would you like to add it anyway?

Please help

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you a member of the domain admins or dnsadmins?
    Have you modified permissions on the server of the secondary zone, like modifying permissions to the root of the C: driver or \windows directory?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Are you a member of the domain admins or dnsadmins?
    Have you modified permissions on the server of the secondary zone, like modifying permissions to the root of the C: driver or \windows directory?

I login using the admin account in windows 2003, I have not modified any ACL or permission, weird thing is the secondary zone is replicating from primary, but unable to connect to primary zone dns server via dnsmgt.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    KB article Q256067 lists it as a known problem in W2K, and was updated in March 2007:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256067/

It basically justs states to apply the latest service pack. Nothing on W2K3 though...
    If I run across something I'll let you know.

Any event log errors?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Can you successfully connect via ip address rather than its dns entry? This will atleast narrow down the possibilities.
    None on event log pertaining to this issue. I will check the link, thanks a lot sparky.
    Can you successfully connect via ip address rather than its dns entry? This will atleast narrow down the possibilities.
    No, all my firewall are disabled atm, but still did not resolve issue.
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you connect to any zone on the DNS server? Do you have any permissions issues when you attempt to view the administrative shares?
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    What message does the client come back with after it fails to connect?
    "Access was denied. Would you like to add it anyway" connection is working fine, I am able to remote from server 1 to server 2 or vice versa, able to ping and all that good stuff, I am running Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition R2.
    gojericho0 wrote:
    Can you connect to any zone on the DNS server? Do you have any permissions issues when you attempt to view the administrative shares?

No I cannot I only have 2 Zones 1 Primary and the other Secondary.
    This is really weird, after browsing to "My Network Places" and authenticating remote hosts with an administrator credentials, I am now able to connect to a DNS server via dnsmgt. I think this triggers the connection and authenticated the communication somehow hmmm maybe netbios is a protocol dnsmgt uses, but whatever it is, this solution is not by the book.

Damn windoze :P haha