Options

BCMSN lab, with Nortel switches?

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
Hey techies,

Just finished reading Hucaby's BCMSN book, and thought I'd put myself through a bunch of scenerios. I have 3 2950's to work with, but I also happen to have a dozen Nortel Baystacks that we've replaced in the last year.

Now I know that Cisco and Nortel share BPDU's just fine, but I'm wondering if playing with Rapid-PVST, MST, and etherChannel is possible with a mix of device types. I'm only interested in the config of the Cat's (obviously), but it would be so neat to really get into MST in a big way.

Any thoughts?
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Would depend on what the Nortel switches support. If they don't support MST there wouldn't be much use in using them unless you want to see how to make MST not work :)

Althought there could be some fun in seing how they interoperate, but not needed for the CCNP exams
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    I can't find any doc's on setting up port channels between nortel and cisco devices... anyone ever done it? Is it possible?
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

• Options
    I've used LACP (802.3ad) to create an etherchannel, here's a link

http://www116.nortel.com/docs/bvdoc/ene_tech_pubs/2007_08_Technical_Configuration_Guide_for_LACP_802_3ad_and_VLACP_J_Vant_Erve_v4_2_NN48500_502.pdf

There are a couple examples in there, and I am not sure what Nortel switches support it and not.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Thanks for the post, dt... I just can't access it. I keep getting ACCESS DENIED, Access to this content is only allowed through direct links from the Nortel Technical Support Portal.

Would you consider pm'ing me a copy/paste of the text? Greatly appreciated,
    mike

• Options
  • Options
    Much better... thanks kindly.