server 2003 sp2

dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been googleing all morning and haven't had any luck yet.

Over the weekend we installed SP2 on a server running server 2003 x64. Now on a couple of our production printers the print queues will randomly hang and not finish print jobs. I can cycle the power on the printers and then a couple jobs will get skipped but a couple more might print before it hangs again.

I installed the problem printers on a server running server 2000 and changed our system to use the 2kserver instead of the 03 server, and everything works fine.

Any ideas?????? I am very positive the only change was updating server 2003 to sp2. The only thing I have found mentioned disableing SNMP but that was disabled from the beginning. I dont think its the spooler or it would affect the other printers right?

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try setting the printers up on the 2003 box to print directly to the printer versus spooling the documents. We had a very similar problem and changing that setting ended up correcting it as a workaround for now. I have not seen any updates that address this so far from Microsoft but they might have snuck one out without me picking up on it. I seriously think they messed around with the spooler and it's caused problems.
  • dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also think they messed with the spooler. I have not tried to change spooler settings because these printers print a small label and sometimes get several hundred print jobs sent to them at a time.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Have you tried the R2 release of Windows 2003, we actually found R2 alot better than the original 2k3 server when it came to printing.

-Ken
  • dstock7337dstock7337 Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dubbs112 wrote:
    I also think they messed with the spooler. I have not tried to change spooler settings because these printers print a small label and sometimes get several hundred print jobs sent to them at a time.

Wow, I wasn't expecting this kind of issue with SP2. My company will be implementing SP2 soon on all of our 2k3 boxes. We haven't upgraded all boxes to R2 but some of our branch offices are running on Server 2k3 R2. Good information for me to know.

Is it specific to a make/model of a printer?
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates