Options

SPAN on Cat 6500

lex0429lex0429 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a Cat 6500 that i want to set up a SPAN on so all traffic from vlan2 is sent to the network monitor on interface gi 3/42..i tried this but soon as i entered these commands i couldnt even ping the network monitor. my pc is in vlan2
monitor session 50 source vlan 2
monitor session 50 destination interface gi 3/42

any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    try this command and see what happens

monitor session 50 source vlan 2 rx
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The span destination port will not receive traffic on that port unless you configure it to do so, you can't ping the device connected to the span destination port.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    lex0429lex0429 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I need to be able to access that terminal so i dont have to be in front of it to view data that is captured. Using RSPAN between 2 switches what would the config be going by the description i have above?
  • Options
    larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depending on the OS and version some of them allow you to configure the span destination port to accept incomming traffic from the port on a VLAN, this was designed to be used with IDS devices connected to the interface so they could send TCP resets and hijack sessions. This may accomplish what you're looking to do. I one time set up a BGP session like this to see if it could be done but I can't give you specific instructions on the cat 6500 how to do it.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    was digging through my favorites some more and also found this.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/41.html

This is a SPAN\RSPAN how to on Cisco switches.
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!