Dumb Quesetion about Router Ethernet port

Comments

• Bill KasterBill Kaster Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also, just as an FYI, I bought this flash memory from a fellow on Ebay. They are brand new sticks, but he did mention in his auction that "a BOOT ROM upgrade may be required for the router to use this flash device if the boot ROM version is lower than 11.0(10c)XB2".

Here's the show version output on one of my 2524 routers:
    R2(boot)#sh ver
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-BOOT-R), Version 11.0(10c), RELEASE SOF
    RE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Fri 27-Dec-96 17:33 by ****
    Image text-base: 0x01010000, data-base: 0x00001000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE

R2 uptime is 49 minutes
    System restarted by power-on
    Running default software

cisco 2524 (68030) processor (revision J) with 14336K/2048K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID 06065547, with hardware revision 00000000
    X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface.
    2 Serial network interfaces.
    5-in-1 module for Serial Interface 0
    56k 4-wire CSU/DSU for Serial Interface 1
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102
    Starting my CCNA journey!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You're back-to-back with a crossover cable?

You might want to go into your Laptop Network Control Panel and try setting the Network card to 10Mb and half-duplex. But you could check first by pinging from each side and seeing what your interface statistics are on the router. Or do a ping -t from the laptop and let it run for a little bit, then break out (CTRL-C) and see if the packets sent match the packets received.

If your pinging and losing any packets or showing errors on the router interface -- then we're back to the PumpKIN configuration (server enabled check box and "give all files" selected).

You've also totally disabled the firewall, right? Not just allowing ICMP, right?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is just a thought...most of the efforts so far are focused on the router and/or the network connectivity...could it be the TFTP server or software?

I mean, I've never used PumpKIN, so I can't speak to it's setup and so on...maybe try another TFTP server? Or have you done a successful transfer with this already?

As I said, just a thought...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
    r_durant wrote:
    maybe try another TFTP server?
    Or try a router as a TFTP server -- if one of the other 2524s has an image on the flash and can boot.

I use solarwind on my laptop -- and that has the checkbox to allow downloads that most people miss the first time. PumpKIN defaults to prompt for permission -- and other than that Enable Server checkbox and the TFTP filesystem root directory, there doesn't seem to be much more that could be wrong.

I'll stick with "sounds like a network problem." icon_lol.gif Cable, speed/duplex, gremlins, configuration, operator error, etc....

I had to upgrade all my old 4.x boot ROMs to use 3rd party flash memory -- but I've still got a couple 5.x boot ROMs that work fine with the 3rd party memory.
    How do you change speed/duplex exactly, I haven't been able to figure it out. I think the mismatched speeds could be it. I remember reading that async operation can cause problems, though I think that was over serial links and not Ethernet.

And let's pray the gremlins are fast asleep. :D
    How do you change speed/duplex exactly, I haven't been able to figure it out. I think the mismatched speeds could be it. I remember reading that async operation can cause problems, though I think that was over serial links and not Ethernet.

And let's pray the gremlins are fast asleep. :D
    Did you see errors in the router interface statistics?

Argh!!! Sounds like a job for a helpdesk!! A+ A+ We need an A+ Tech!

Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Network Connections
    Find your "local area connection.... " right click --> properties
    If you are in the right place you should see your Network Card in the box labeled "Connect using:" with a Configure button next to it/under it.....
    Then under the Advanced Tab -- there may be a Speed & Duplex Property that is defaulting to Auto.... There should be a 10Mb Half option (or something similar).
  • georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    Bill,
    I'm recreating your setup to see if I get the same results. I'll let you know what I come up with, it shouldn't take very long.

George
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
    mike, thanks, I did that but with no different results. I assume if you can't ping, you can't expect to load an IOS from that same machine. Makes sense. So at least I've isolated to this one issue. I think everything else will work out from there once I figure out why my ICMP echos are failing.

Here's more info in case you need it george and mike. Thanks a ton guys:

- XP Firewall selected to Off under General Tab.
    - LAN box checked under Advanced tab.
    - Under ICMP Settings, all boxes are checked (starting with "Allow incoming echo request" and ending with "Allow outgoing packet too big").
    - For some odd reason, the settings under ICMP --> Settings (3rd Settings button from the top in the Advanced Tab under Windows Firewall) is duplicated under the 1st Settings button in the same section of Windows Firewall, but I've isolated this problem as non-impactful on ping, I believe).
    System settings courtesy of CPU-Z (March 06 revision)

Win XP Tablet PC Edition 05 SP2 (Build 2600), DirectX 9.0c
    1.7 GHz Pentium M (B1 stepping), 2MB L2,
    CAS timing 2.5/3/3/7
    I do perhaps have a sort of atypical setup on the console port; I have a rolled cable connected to a RJ45 to serial DB9 adapter, which is connected to a serial DB9 to USB adapter that plugs into my USB port. But I've never had any issues with accessing the console, and besides, that should have zero to do with the pinging problem. The rolled cable and RJ45-DB9 adapter is a Cisco part number, so I can't possibly imagine that being an issue. Cross-over cable is CAT6, 7' Geeksquad cable, a year old barley ever used.

Btw, I've repeated the ping problem on all three 2524 routers, and I've also set up the E0 port on all three routers as 192.168.1.75 255.255.255.0, and then a no shut right after that.
    R3#show ip int brief
    Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

Ethernet0 192.168.1.75 YES NVRAM up up

Serial0 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

Serial1 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

R3#show protocol
    Global values:
    Internet Protocol routing is enabled
    Ethernet0 is up, line protocol is up
    Internet address is 192.168.1.75/24
    Serial0 is administratively down, line protocol is down
    Serial1 is administratively down, line protocol is down
    ^ That goes for all my routers.
    Try pinging with a couple of the 2500s connected back-to-back with the crossover cable (after you've given them different IP addresses on the same subnet).

Did you nuke the existing configs -- no leftover ACLs?

What kind of transceivers do you have? Any dip switch settings? Do you get any lights on them? Any flashing when you ping?
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have any problems pinging that PC if you connect your PC to another PC with the same crossover cable?
    I assume if you can't ping, you can't expect to load an IOS from that same machine.

I don't mean to go back, but I thought you were able to ping yesterday after this post below, or was I mistaken... icon_scratch.gif

Pssst, that was dumb. I turn off my firewall, but under the advanced settings tab and under ICMP, everything is still on for firewall. Why don't they just take the whole thing down when I ask? Bah! :)

You guys were absolutely right. Thanks!
    [/b]
    r_durant, yes, I was able to ping before but, inexplicably, I now can't ping.

Silver Bullet, yes! From a WinXP Pro desktop (statically configured IP addy) I can't ping to my laptop (all "request timed out"), but from my laptop I can ping to that same WinXP Pro machine with 100% replies.

mike, I can ping from R1 to R2 and R2 to R1. Though oddly enough, I got a 60% and 80% completion rates the first time around, but I think that's because I had just booted up the router and I was pinging before the router was fully up (afterwards I was getting all 100%). I'm using the same crossover cable throughout all of my troubleshooting FYI.
    R1(boot)#ping 192.168.1.75
    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.1.75, timeout is 2 seconds:
    .!!!!
    Success rate is 80 percent (4/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 4/5/8 ms
    ..!!!
    Success rate is 60 percent (3/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 4/4/4 ms
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 8/8/8 ms
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 8/8/8 ms
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go back to your Advanced Firewall Settings and then ICMP settings and only select "Allow ICMP Echo Requests".

Do you have any other Antivirus packages running on your PC that has a firewall feature running?

Just for grins and giggles, disable all antivirus packages and try pinging from another PC again.

If that doesn't work then try running this command
    netsh int ip reset c:\tcpreset.txt

This will reset your TCP/IP stack plus create a log file named "tcpreset.txt in the root of C: of what occurred in the reset.
    Silver Bullet, before I do that, I'd like to know what you think about this; I decided that instead of pinging from my router to my laptop, ping from my router to a different PC; the result has been completely successful! I hooked up that same router to another PC, and same result, 100% replies! On both PCs all I had to do is disable the firewall under the General tab and nothing else, didn't have to touch any ICMP settings.

So it's something specific about my laptop, and now that you mention anti-virus software, I'm guessing that's exactly what it is. I also just installed anti-virus software recently. I'll get back to you ASAP.
    I hooked up that same router to another PC, and same result, 100% replies!
    Load PumpKIN on that PC! And save "wack the firewall" on the laptop for later! If it was a "security suite" it may have its own annoying firewall.

With the Router to Router pinging okay I was going to say it sounds like we need an MCP, but a Silver Bullet is even better icon_lol.gif
    My Spyware Doctor anti-virus software had been disabled the whole time I was struggling through all of this, so what I did was enable it again and disabled as many virus settings as I could find. In the end, no luck. Maybe I'm just not disabling the anti-virus software firewall correctly. Either way, I know it has to be my Spydoctor firewall, so that's good to know.

I also did the TCP/IP stack reset as you suggested, but with no different results.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    why not try uninstalling the spyware doctor and then try the ping. I have seen some of those packages that "seem" to be disabled but are not completely.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

So I've solved the ping problem by using another PC, but I still can't update the IOS software. Here's what I do:
    R2(boot)#copy tftp flash
    System flash directory:
    No files in System flash
    [0 bytes used, 16777216 available, 16777216 total]
    Address or name of remote host [192.168.1.15]?
    Source file name? c2500-i-l.121-2.T.bin
    Destination file name [c2500-i-l.121-2.T.bin]?
    Accessing file 'c2500-i-l.121-2.T.bin' on 192.168.1.15...
    Loading c2500-i-l.121-2.T.bin ... [timed out]
    [failed]

I'm supposed to put the same file name when prompted for "Source file name" and "Destination file name", correct?
    Pssst, it was Pumpkin all along. Bah!!!! I downloaded TFTP Desktop and it worked beautifully. I'd maybe note/edit that in a FAQ just in case people have issues with Pumpkin.

So r_durant, you were right on the money here. Thanks. icon_thumright.gif

And thanks to mike, george, silver bullet, and everyone else who helped me through this. I'd send you guys money through PayPal...but I'm Jewish.
    Just glad I could help bro...icon_thumright.gif

PS: I accept bank transfers and certified checks... icon_lol.gif
    Beer would be fine drunken_smilie.gif

I downloaded PumpKIN and it worked fine for me -- I still say we didn't rule out "operator error" icon_lol.gif
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Pumpkin is a lightweight TFTP program, never fails me, doubt it was causing any problems.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    Pash wrote:
    Pumpkin is a lightweight TFTP program, never fails me, doubt it was causing any problems.

Same here. I downloaded ver. 2.7.2 last night and duplicated Bill's setup and it worked like a champ.
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
    Same here about Pumpkin.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

I say it was a layer 8 problem drunken_smilie.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    Hmmm....I wonder what he meant by that? :)