Options

OT: new cisco routers power cord

mmreedmmreed Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well, got to setup a 3825 and was amazed to see where they put the power adapter.

When you rack mount the new gear, the power is on the front! so in a nice rack, you now have an ac cord coming out the front!

Why on earth would they do that!?!? Looking at the back, there isnt much room due to the exp slots.. but sheesh... a nice flush rack now has a router with a big cord coming out the front and fed back. MESSY!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah and what is more annoying with the 3800 is the console connection is on the back. I don't really care here at the school because I mount them all backwards anyhow, but it's annoying in production to gain access to the console port in a datacenter where racks are back to back. The 2800's have the console on the front which isn't too bad.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know what you guys are talking about...we have two of them!! icon_eek.gif
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    mmreedmmreed Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    Yeah and what is more annoying with the 3800 is the console connection is on the back. I don't really care here at the school because I mount them all backwards anyhow, but it's annoying in production to gain access to the console port in a datacenter where racks are back to back. The 2800's have the console on the front which isn't too bad.

yeah, i cant believe they didnt give thought to that.

But.. if they would just implement the USB support for console connectivity.. haha we would be good!

Though I am happy to have some hands on with the 3800 before I sit for the ccna. We are implementing an MPLS network for voice and data among three locations - so I should get some hard core hands on experience.

Just too bad they didnt give some thought to usability in the physical construct of the router.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some company's security policies will actually list restricting access to the console port as part of the policy, maybe that is what they were thinking. Who knows, I have seen where people have put in a cat 5 feed through patch panel to connect to the console ports of the devices, switches included (again the console port is on the back)
    The only easy day was yesterday!