Options

BCMSN... information overload.

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
I just finished ready Hucaby's BCMSN Cert Guide, and started on the scenerio questions at the back... and I'm shocked at how much I've forgotten in three weeks. Just so many details.

The book's CD has a tonne of questions, but I'd love to get hold of some extra study guides / etc... and I noticed nothing here on the site. Any suggestions?

Much appreciated,
Mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It is a lot of stuff to remember! I will be taking mine later this week (around the 15th or 16th just got to go schedule it when I get paid) I used the quick reference sheets to refresh myself. They are good for that purpose but not very indepth. It is 64 pages long and you can download it from Ciscopress for $10. It is worth it in my opinion. I used the exam cert guide as my main book, but to tell you the truth I probably learned the most from the the Cisco web site. A lot of good information there on anything you can think of.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you guys done BSCI yet or are you going the BCMSN route first?
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm studying BCMSN first while I have the resources.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can I assume that to mean non-owned/borrowed from work switches or another resource?
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From school. They have a couple racks that are adequate for CCNP. 3550's or 3560's are too expensive.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It sounds like you're cramming a little too much too fast. Slow down your studies and go over the questions as they relate to what you studied and you'll do a lot better.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I always read the summary of all the previous chapters everyday. It helps keep the information fresh in your mind instead of reading chapter one then not looking at again for a few weeks. Some peoples memory is not very good and even if they are not cramming they can tend to forget stuff.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MACattackMACattack Member Posts: 121
    REad the book BCMSN 5 times by Hucby and 2 times the self study and 3 times the BCMSN study guides. As I read all these book more and more information are added.
    Like in Hucaby it is good for starter but in study guides it goes deeper. and for cleaning stuff I used studyguides and protable commands.
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    @ ITDude... I also went with the BCMSN first. I work in a rather flat organization, which uses port security, tonnes of vlans, layer 3 switching, mstp, and vrrp. So it made sense to "own" that material first.

We also recently upgraded all switches to 3750 stacks, so I have several 2950's to play with... so like NS, from a resource perspective, it made sense.

@ Paul... you're not wrong. I'll definately go through the cert guide (Hucaby) again, and I bought Bryant's BCMSN kit yesterday. I'll be starting his lab workbook today at lunch to get a better feel for the cli side of the exam.

@MAC... study guides? What study guides are you referring to? Any links. Preciate it.

Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.