Options

Quit New Job?

vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I would like your opinions on this matter.

I just got a new job which I like but I also got an offer from another company for a better paying position. I had interviewed with them when I was still looking for a job.

The pay hike would be about 5k and the job would entail doing about the same thing I'm doing right now. Should I quit after just my first week? What would you do if you were in my situation?

Thanks in advance for expressing your opinions.

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Hi guys,

I just got a new job which I like but I also got an offer from another company for a better paying position. I had interviewed with them when I was still looking for a job.

The pay hike would be about 5k and the job would entail doing about the same thing I'm doing right now. Should I quit after just my first week? What would you do if you were in my situation?

I would bounce like a Jheri curl.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A bird in the hand... is worth 5K in the bush. You say you like this job. For 5K is it worth landing a job that you don't like?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
    A good work enviroment is easily worth 5K. If you think you would enjoy the new job just as much than ya I would say jump. It's not really going to hurt anything but if you see something at your current post that is worth holding on too, 5K is not enough to risk that.
  • Options
    vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I was to take the new job, would I have to give 2 weeks notice or that rule wouldn't apply here since I've only been working for them for a week.

I'm leaning towards going for the new job. As far as liking the new job, I think I'd like it as much if not better than the current job I'm doing. I just feel bad for my current employer because they're gonna have to go through the hiring process all over again when they thought they were done.
  • Options
    CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just be up front and honest with them. No reason not to leave, but it isn't wise to leave without telling them the truth.

I have been there and it is a tough spot to be in.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • Options
    Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
    Give a two week notice. No reason to burn a bridge as you may never know who is a friend of who. If they don't need you to work a two week notice they will tell you but it's best to take the high road so to say.

Don't worry about the company. They interviewed other people besides you. They can just go with their second choice. They will survive :D
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like some of the others said if you decide to take the other job make sure you will like the job and the company. 5k extra is nice, but if you don't like the people you work with, less job stability, the hours, the type of work you have to do, work enviroment, etc.... then it may not be worth it.

Also, I agree with Gabe that you should give a 2 weeks notice if possible. I say possible because if you really want the other job and it is not possible to give a notice for whatever reason I would say forget it. You don't want to burn any bridges but since you have only worked for this other company for 1 week you may burn that bridge just by leaving this early. Just my 2 cents, good luck.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    druid318druid318 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take the job you want. Not like most of the companies are going to be loyal to you, just be respectful when you leave.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    5K is good, but there are other factors. Does one company pay tuition? What about bennifits? Id there room for advancement? Is the position stable? If the company with 5K less hass all these things and the other doesn't (probably one of the reasons they pay more) then I would stick with the current. If the second has all the same bennifits and more moey, than I think the choice comes down to which one you will enjoy more. Like everyone else has said having a job you enjoy going to instead of loathing is worth more than 5K to me.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    double post.....................
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    GregDGregD Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cabrillo24 wrote:
    Hi guys,

Job hoping after a week...hmmmm, wonder what a future recruiter would think after looking at your resume... I'd say stick it out, see how it goes and you could possibly end up getting a raise, promotion or even a new position. This company picked you, I'd show a little loyalty. If anything, this could be a good opportunity to network with current employees and get a good recommendation from your site manager. Just my two abe lincolns.
    I doubt he would be putting the position that he worked for for a handful of days on his resume.
    CCNA - Complete
    CCNP - BCMSN, ONT Complete.

Up Next - ISCW, BSCI
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    Tell the current employer that you found something that pays more for the same thing. Maybe they'll try to compete and offer more. Then you won't have to worry about hurtin their feelings.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't leave a new job that I liked for $5,000/yr, money being the sole factor. Of course there could always be other factors at play, but leaving a new job, especially one that I liked, there'd have to be something pretty compelling to get me to leave.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    for 5K most of the 'benefit' will be lost to the taxes you'll be paying. I wouldn't find it worth it and frankly shame on you for not researching/following-up with this new position better or waiting it out.

As an employer, I wouldn't care if you gave 2 weeks notice or not. You've wasted time and resources of this employer who granted you a job in the first place with the intention of training you as one of their own. After 1 short week you are jumping ship. Frankly, disgusting considering the job market, however the true decision is yours....you simply were asking for opinions. You got mine.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My advice is to put yourself first, and not your new company. If you think the other company offers you a better position than this one, then by all means you should move.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    for 5K most of the 'benefit' will be lost to the taxes you'll be paying. I wouldn't find it worth it and frankly shame on you for not researching/following-up with this new position better or waiting it out.

As an employer, I wouldn't care if you gave 2 weeks notice or not. You've wasted time and resources of this employer who granted you a job in the first place with the intention of training you as one of their own. After 1 short week you are jumping ship. Frankly, disgusting considering the job market, however the true decision is yours....you simply were asking for opinions. You got mine.

'Disgusting'?

I don't agree with that sentiment at all. From what the poster says he interviewed for both positions before he got an offer, in which case considering the job market is it really so smart to keep a company waiting on an answer to an offered position? He did what a lot of people would do, he took the job. Now he has another company getting around to making him an offer. It's a not an uncommon dilemna and many companies understand this can happen.

That said I agree with a lot of what has been said so far, only leave if you will truly be better off. If you stay show the written job offer to your new boss, it should demonstrate your commitment and help you with future pay reviews and references. They may even match the offer.

In future if you get an offer from an employer, consider going straight to all the other companies that you have interviewed with explaining your situation and politlely explain that if they are also interested you need to hear from them with an offer within a couple of days or you will no longer be available. This tends to speed up job offers and saves these sorts of headaches.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Turgon wrote:
    Plantwiz wrote:

'Disgusting'?

I don't agree with that sentiment at all. From what the poster says he interviewed for both positions before he got an offer, in which case considering the job market is it really so smart to keep a company waiting on an answer to an offered position? He did what a lot of people would do, he took the job. Now he has another company getting around to making him an offer. It's a not an uncommon dilemna and many companies understand this can happen.

That said I agree with a lot of what has been said so far, only leave if you will truly be better off. If you stay show the written job offer to your new boss, it should demonstrate your commitment and help you with future pay reviews and references. They may even match the offer.

In future if you get an offer from an employer, consider going straight to all the other companies that you have interviewed with explaining your situation and politlely explain that if they are also interested you need to hear from them with an offer within a couple of days or you will no longer be available. This tends to speed up job offers and saves these sorts of headaches.

Agreed completely. Just to add, I will always suggest going with whatever gains you the most experience and tech"play" time. Its worth more than money.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Tesl wrote:
    My advice is to put yourself first, and not your new company. If you think the other company offers you a better position than this one, then by all means you should move.

Is money the sole basis of what is a better position? And at that, such a small amount?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Pash wrote:
    Just to add, I will always suggest going with whatever gains you the most experience and tech"play" time. Its worth more than money.

Pash is the most correct. Go with what will gain you the most 3 years from now. You can't just look at that piddly amount of salary increase. Well, I guess you can, but to each his own I guess.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just a note, never take the counteroffer! all too often a company will make an offer to an employee who is looking to leave for more money. They now know you're not happy with the work environment, and you're only looking for who will pay you the most. This is a short term fix on the company's part. In many cases they will begin to look for your replacement and are only buying time by making you an offer to stay around.

If you want to go, make the decision and do it. Don't count on an offer to stay, and even if they make an offer, be hesitant to take it.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:
    Tesl wrote:

Is money the sole basis of what is a better position? And at that, such a small amount?

You should maybe re-read what I said. I never said "omg 5k w0wz00rz" - I said that if he thinks the other company offers a better position then by all means he should move. I didn't mention money at all, as these things are all about finding balance.
  • Options
    felicia barnesfelicia barnes Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with everyone to some degree. I say go with your gut icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Turgon wrote:

'Disgusting'?

Yes, disgusting because he did interview with both. If he failed to follow-up properly or convey he needed to know their answer because he's already received a firm offer....he failed as an applicant. Sure, do what to many people do in the US and have no respect for things around you and think of yourself exclusively. icon_evil.gif

Point is, if he interviewed with both, and he's only been at the job a week, he hardly 'waited' for the other job to come through. I also didn't see anything written about him contacting this Second company when he received his first offer to try to counter offer at that point. As written he simply took the job and a week later received a call from the other company. BOO HOO. For 5K it's hardly worth $96.15 before taxes to look unprofessional.

It's still his choice, but to me it reads as someone didn't do their homework properly and now want to shuck the responsibility for accepting a position with a company they really didn't want.

In a time when so many complain about lack of work...reading about lack of respect for work is showing that times just aren't tough enough for people to appreciate a job when they have it.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    ^ I have interviewed with companies before and never heard from them again, or heard from them 5 months down the road. Until I start to get the respect from them I am not going to put myself out to makes sure I can take a job elsewhere. Companies that drag you around for 4 interviews and then tell you they are going to hold off on hiring anyway, tells me they don't mind have their time wasted.

Not to mention, they probably interviewed more than this 1 guy for the position, and if he leaves, they will just give #2 a call and hire him on. I am sure it is a pain for the company but they have to understand that when someone is looking for work, they apply to more than one place, and they may not be the best.

As for the money, I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor. I have worked some crap jobs that I would gladly take a 10k pay cut to have something I enjoyed better. Mind you I don't have kids :D
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Turgon wrote:

'Disgusting'?

Yes, disgusting because he did interview with both. If he failed to follow-up properly or convey he needed to know their answer because he's already received a firm offer....he failed as an applicant. Sure, do what to many people do in the US and have no respect for things around you and think of yourself exclusively. icon_evil.gif

Point is, if he interviewed with both, and he's only been at the job a week, he hardly 'waited' for the other job to come through. I also didn't see anything written about him contacting this Second company when he received his first offer to try to counter offer at that point. As written he simply took the job and a week later received a call from the other company. BOO HOO. For 5K it's hardly worth $96.15 before taxes to look unprofessional.

It's still his choice, but to me it reads as someone didn't do their homework properly and now want to shuck the responsibility for accepting a position with a company they really didn't want.

In a time when so many complain about lack of work...reading about lack of respect for work is showing that times just aren't tough enough for people to appreciate a job when they have it.

Im afraid Plantwiz you are reading too much into the original post. Do you know how much following up this individual did or the details of his job search or how he handled himself? Were different job agencies involved for example?

If you need work and an offer comes in it doesn't pay to keep employers hanging around while you wait out potential alternative offers which may never happen anyway. Let's hear from vistalavista before jumping to conclusions!

As for the 5k increase, it's small by most people's standards but not all. Certainly money should not be the main decision to take this alternative job. Prospects yes.

Main thing is to follow up with your leads when you get an offer to avoid this sort of thing.
  • Options
    Relax Turgon.

It's just an opinion. You don't have to like it.

I've seen far too many around here (my area) complain that they cannot find work, then they find it and squander it. There are costs associated on both sides of employment and frankly, you don't know what he did or didn't do any more then I, so why are you jumping down my throat?

The original poster requested what people thought about what he's contemplating....I like many others posted an opinion yet you feel the need to pick mine apart. You may pick it apart all you like Turgon. Just curious why you are so sensitive about something that doesn't pertain to you?

Comments were asked for....I commented. Move along.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Relax Turgon.

It's just an opinion. You don't have to like it.

I've seen far too many around here (my area) complain that they cannot find work, then they find it and squander it. There are costs associated on both sides of employment and frankly, you don't know what he did or didn't do any more then I, so why are you jumping down my throat?

The original poster requested what people thought about what he's contemplating....I like many others posted an opinion yet you feel the need to pick mine apart. You may pick it apart all you like Turgon. Just curious why you are so sensitive about something that doesn't pertain to you?

Comments were asked for....I commented. Move along.

I can understand where you are coming from and if the circumstances are as as you *think* they look, then I would be inclined to agree with you.

But the fact is we don't yet know all the details of how vistalavista got to this point, so let's not be quick to judge people!

He has a lot of feedback now on his choice and advice on doing the right thing when it comes to job applications so hopefully it has been of some help.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A little over a year ago, I graduated with a Bachelor's and was out looking for a job in IT. My friend had set up an interview at this one place, and I pretty much had the job. I was also awaiting a response from another employer...I was only 50% sure that I would be offered that job. The boss from the place my friend referred me to called and offered me a job at $12.50/hour...the other job I was awaiting a call back from was offering $20/hour (plus better benefits).

I told the guy who offered me the position that I was still very interested in the job, but that I was expecting a call back from another company and could not accept the job immediately based on that fact. I also told them I understood what position it put them in and that I would understand if they needed to pursue other candidates. Well, the manager was PISSED...but I felt I did the right thing. Sure, it was a risk in rejecting a offer when I didn't know for sure I had that other job, but I did not want to mislead the other job and screw them over.

I was offered the other job a few days later (and am currently working there).
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Plantwiz wrote:
    he failed as an applicant. Sure, do what to many people do in the US and have no respect for things around you and think of yourself exclusively. icon_evil.gif

I think that comment is out of line. I can agree with you that the economy is not the best and that statement alone should be reason enough to leave a job to benefit ones self by 5K.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeh that does seem a little hyprocritical to say the least. I mean you are offending many US readers who don't always think of themself and have helped others on these boards for example. Which in turn is really selfish. But im sure its a plantwiz joke that us silly ones don't get :)

Anyway vista, let us know of your decision mate. Remember there is never any wrong choice, as it is your choice, that is the beauty of being an adult :)

Goodluck!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.