Options

70-621... Complete!

Hi All,

I attempted the 70-621 today and was successful in passing it with a score of 833! This was actually a more difficult exam than expected due to the lack of 70-622 material. I recommend being well prepared before attempting this exam.

The exam is actually 2 exams in one. You will get x number of questions for 70-620 stuff and x number of questions for 70-622 stuff totaling around 50+ questions. Once you finish the first 70-620 exam you will move on to the second part of the exam which is 70-622 with a new time limit. Kind of weird if you've never done an exam like this before.

Anyway the 70-620 stuff was pretty easy, but the 70-622 was tricky. I will try and break down what you should focus on in addition to the exam objectives:

70-620: Study IE (Protected Mode, Phishing Filter, Menu settings) Vista Install Requirements, Windows Sidebar, Windows Calendar, Windows Media Center, UAC and UAC Group Policy Settings (know these well) Event Viewer, Windows Firewall, Network Sharing Center and Wireless (Know these well), Laptop power settings and Tablet PC Configurations, Mobile Devices, Windows Defender, and Network Configurations.

70-622: This exam really surprised me as I feel it covered stuff that was not clear in the objectives and also again, the lack of material can hurt you. I used TechNet and hands on to prepare for this part and it still was not enough in my opinion. I pretty much had to use educated guesses on these questions. If you have an MCSE or have taken any of the MCSE security exams, you will have no problems as mainly these were domain related security questions. Based on my experience here is what you will want to study:

Understand that Kerberos Authentication is only available on Win 2000 and higher in a domain. Windows NT does not support Kerberos

Know how to use sysprep, ImageX, when deploying Vista

Understand how Bitlocker Works and how to perform recovery.

Understand Group Policy settings... I can't really elaborate on this one, but can say I got many of these types of questions.

Understand IPSEC and how to secure communications with Vista, Xp, 2000, NT... again another GP topic

Understand Event Viewer and Forwarding, Auditing, Applying Updates, Remote Assistance, Wireless and WPA, WEP, ect..., UAC, and Windows Update Agent.

I'm sure there are more, but just be aware that this exam is tricky and to be well prepared. There was some overlap so that helped :)

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Very cool. Congratulations on the pass, and thanks for the review of the exam experience. One question, though. Since you essentially took both 70-620 and 70-622, are you recognized as having passed both of those, or are you given credit for the 70-621 only?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
    Slowhand wrote:
    Very cool. Congratulations on the pass, and thanks for the review of the exam experience. One question, though. Since you essentially took both 70-620 and 70-622, are you recognized as having passed both of those, or are you given credit for the 70-621 only?

In the end I believe it will show up as passing the 70-621 and not as taking both the 620 and 622 on the transcript, but since it's an upgrade exam you get the same credit/certifications as passing the 70-620 and the 70-622.