Options

Layer3 Switching Q.

NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
OKay lets say I had a distribution switch that had layer2 links to my layer2 access module. Then it has layer3 IP conections to the core. Then lets say for some reason I have decided to cross the core to get to my DHCP.

Must I still use the helper-address command to create a unicast transmission from the distribution switch to the server farm?

I'm just wondering about the behavior of broadcasts like DHCP once the broadcast reaches a layer3 switch.

In the BCMSN book it states "cisco layer3 switches are able to convert broadcasts such as DHCP into unicasts before the packets leave the building distribution module, to minimize broadcast flooding in the backbone module."

This is the part that has me questioning. What would happen if the switch did not convert to unicast? Would it then broadcast the DHCP request packet over the core? That is what this statement seems to imply.

If there were no unicast conversion, would this packet have an destination address of 255.255.255.255 or would it have an IP-Directed broadcast address of the subnet between distro and core.

Any input on these questions is appreciated.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The part about the "are able" is not a default setting and is provided by the "ip helper-address" as you had mentioned. I guess what they're trying say is in contrast to the what a L2 switch would do, simply flood the broadcast onto the core. A L3 switch is no different than a router in respects to how it handles a broadcast packet. A SVI will not forward a broadcast to another SVI or routed (L3) interface, or a routed interface will not forward to another routed interface or SVI.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you. you da man! icon_cool.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!