Options

What address is present in Frames

datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
computer <> switch <> Router <> Router <> Switch <> File Server

What addresses will be present in the Frame when you down load a file from the File Server?

I am thinking it will be the following, but i could be wrong.

IP address of File server
IP address of computer
MAC address of Computer
MAC address of switch
Arrakis

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well if this is an incoming frame from the server, then the source MAC will be the mac of the router's ethernet interface and destination mac will be your machine.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    Netstudent wrote:
    well if this is an incoming frame from the server, then the source MAC will be the mac of the router's ethernet interface and destination mac will be your machine.

Oh...thanks...
    Arrakis
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    datchcha wrote:

What addresses will be present in the Frame when you down load a file from the File Server?

IP address of computer
    MAC address of Computer
    MAC address of switch

Frames are found at layer 2 of the OSI model, meaning you wont see any IP address in a frame.

A frame arriving at the computer that was downloaded from the File Server would have the MAC address of the "computer" for the destination and the MAC address of the nearest (left side) router interface as the source. Normal frames are not modified by the switch. This would be the same if you were using a dumb hub or had the computer/File Server connected directly to the routers.

George

P.S. This should be covered in the material you're using to study for your CCNA and I would think the Network+ should have covered it also. If not, you may want to rethink the study material that you are using.
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    datchcha wrote:

IP address of computer
    MAC address of Computer
    MAC address of switch

datchcha,

It depends on the level of encapsulation and decapsulation that occurs at the host or networking device.