Options

mylab + vmware

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
Okay heres what i'm wondering tonight:

say i have 4 NICs installed in my PC

and in the lab i'm doing, i have 4 networks. i want a host on each network. can i use VMware to do this? If so, anyone know of some sort of guide for it?
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sure. You could have 4 separate networks even if you didn't have 4 physical NICs installed if you create virtual networks within the VMWare host.

The VMWare documentation is pretty good, I think the administrator's guide explains how to do this.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

Let me get this right

You want to run 4 VM wares on the pc that has 4 NICS

and each client connecting to one of the VM wares

Am i right?

More info please

Lee H
  • Options
    No, what i'd like to do is connect from the NICs to say a switch in my cisco lab.. and each NIC would be on a separate network attached to a seperate switch/router (or on a different vlan). if i could set this up, it'd be much easier to lab in that i could test connectivity across the whole network without having to constantly switch cables and address info. would cut a lot of time.

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That is certainly possible. You can define a network in VMWare and associate it with different physical networks on your host PC, and then create virtual machines and attach their ethernet adapter to one of the networks you created.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    cool. looking into it now. i'll probably use windows 95 since it won't require much ram and HD space.
    i need 3 more nics too icon_sad.gif

shame i was looking at this last night instead of buying the 3 PCI nics for $.75....

• Options
    supercooldudesupercooldude Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    i'll probably use windows 95 since it won't require much ram and HD space.
    I like the idea. How about DOS only?? icon_lol.gif
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    i need 3 more nics too icon_sad.gif
    I could be wrong but I think you could create 4 virtual NICs,
    bridge them your physical NIC and maybe use a hub between your physical NIC and your other switches/routers...
    You could always try this scenario before buying your NICs...

HTH
    SCD